Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Spring has sprung! Random pictures of signs of spring >

Spring has sprung! Random pictures of signs of spring

Spring has sprung! Random pictures of signs of spring

Old 04-21-2010, 05:57 AM

In the past week or so it's been decided that spring is really here. We've had wonderful weather (low 80's, no humidity, night time lows in the high 50's) and everything is green again. We got our garden mostly planted this weekend and my husband built a little mini coop for my two banties that are setting a little clutch of eggs. They both went broody at the same time so I stuck them in together to tend to one nest. The eggs aren't actually theirs but they don't care. :) The eggs are from my Production Red hens and my Buff Orpington rooster. I candeled the eggs yesterday at 9 days and was so excited to see the little embryo inside squirming and moving about. One was a dud so I threw it out.

It was also warm enough that my kids played in the sprinkle this weekend while I planted some flowers. Awwww, life is good. :)

Had to add a picture of my hen house because it's so darn cute
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46925[/ATTACH]

Some flowers that got planted this weekend
[ATTACH=CONFIG]47371[/ATTACH]

Banties tending their eggs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]47943[/ATTACH]

The real parents, rooster on right
[ATTACH=CONFIG]47946[/ATTACH]

Crazy kids in the water on a lawn that needed mowing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48018[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-46925.jpe   attachment-47371.jpe   attachment-47943.jpe   attachment-47946.jpe   attachment-48018.jpe  

Old 04-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Banned

Awww...love the roosters....and the kids (of course ;) but really love that hen house!!! Post pics of the babies when they arrive! Heck, now I just want to take a field trip to your house!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 AM

Okay, I've got to ask the obvious...How the heck are those pots staying stacked like that? Too cute. I have to try that, too.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 AM

Luv that hen house....my mom has chickens too but her henhouse is pretty old and scary. Since she has been sick, we feed and care for her chickens....yours are living uptown, though!! Do you have any that lay the blue eggs? We do and they're soooo pretty!!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by mama's place
Okay, I've got to ask the obvious...How the heck are those pots staying stacked like that? Too cute. I have to try that, too.
It's this really cool thing I found over in Texas at the Canton Trade's Days, but I'm sure you could get it somewhere else too. It's an iron stand with a long spike that comes straight out from the base. You put the base of it in the largest pot on the bottom, then fill with dirt. Then you run descending sized pots down the spike through their bottom drain hole and just let them lay to the side like that. Once all the dirt and flowers are in you can't see the iron spike and it just looks like a cool illusion.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

AAAWWWW the kids are so cute ...

Love the hens watching over eggs that are not theirs :shock:

The hen house , hey they need that for the funky neighborhood swap :wink: LOL

Thanks for sharing with us :lol:
Old 04-21-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by mama's place
Luv that hen house....my mom has chickens too but her henhouse is pretty old and scary. Since she has been sick, we feed and care for her chickens....yours are living uptown, though!! Do you have any that lay the blue eggs? We do and they're soooo pretty!!
I don't have any Ameraucana or Araucana hens right now. I got my hens because I wanted fresh eggs from healthy chickens, so got a breed that was known for their high egg production. I have since really taken an interest in chickens though. Odd thing to have an interest in, I know. :) Right now I just have the Production Reds who lay brown eggs but I imagine I'll be expanding my flock in the future and getting some other color eggs in their. I really love the Buff Orpingtons though (that's what my rooster is) so I'm going to try and phase out some of my Production Reds (stewpot :shock:) and bring in Buff Orpington hens.

I really love my hen house. It was my Christmas gift from my husband. His friends though he was nuts when he said that's what he got me for Christmas but it's what I really wanted. :)
Old 04-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

What great spring pics. They make me feel better all over. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Great pics, cute kids, and love that hen house!