Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Deterrent

Power Poster

Squirrel Deterrent

A friend of ours put a metal Slinky on the post that holds the bird feeder. No squirrels!

The Slinky acts like a 'jacket' around the post. Must be something about the coils that the squirrels don't like.

We tried it too - no squirrels.

I kind of miss watching the little critters climbing - don't miss DH and DS yelling at the squirrels, though.

I am definitely going to try this. Let me ask you this: assuming the slinky is pulled open to cover the pole of the feeder, what did you use to hold the slinky to each end of the pole? Hopefully this will deter Texas squirrels as well as it deters Minnesota squirrels!

What fun, to watch a squirrel try to climb a slinky! Talk about frustration!!!!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Power Poster
    David says that a fencing nail - sort of a u-shaped thing - was used to hold the bottom down - and that he sort of 'hooked' the top end to the cross bar of the post. I didn't put it up - or watch the process -

Apparently a squirrel will only touch it once or twice and decide it isn't any fun at all to even try to climb on the post anymore.

Moved the feeder away from the guard rail of the deck so they can't do the flying leap anymore, either.

Power Poster
    I have got to try that for the bird feeder this winter. The squirrels have defeated everything I've tried to keep them from raiding the feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    What fun, to watch a squirrel try to climb a slinky! Talk about frustration!!!!
    Leo is obsessed with squirrels so he'll enjoy this, too... LOL! He's not a very good deterrent, tho... waaah!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Wow, will have to try this. I think my DH and our two cocker spaniels are going to have heart attacks trying to chase off all the squirrels. Their mission in life right now!
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    This sounds a bit cruel to me-I almost lost a finger with one of those blasted Slinky's. My Pops gave the squirrels their own feeder attached to the same tree as his bird feeder and for the last 2 yrs this has worked out pretty good for him.And he also keeps a couple ears of corn spiked to a couple tree's. He use to get upset at the squirrels eating all the bird seed.But a very wise 5 yr old told him "Squirrels gotta eat too"--and they probably want their own plate,so Pops followed this advice and now his backyard critters are all well fed and happy

'

I finally found a baffle tha looks like a very large roll of paper towels that attaches below the feeder. It has a top & no bottom & the squirrels go up into it & come back out the bottom. Now I have no squirrels at the feeder. They deal with the left overs on the ground!

Blog Entries
    I love the squirrels, but I would like to get rid of the blasted Birds!!!
    Sadiemae

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast