Stage Fright?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:43 AM

I am definately scared to death to do public speaking! I have been putting off speech class until I absolutely have to take it!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 AM

The more comfortable you are with your material, the easier it is to perform. If it were me, I would have it just about memorized beforehand--that way you have your notes as a safety net, but it's not likely that you'll lose your place.

I majored in theatre, so I've spent quite a lot of time singing and acting in front of an audience. I never had bad stage fright, but I never really loved it, either (which is why I now work behind the scenes). Preparation goes a really long way to controlling anxiety and fear.

For me, pretending the audience wasn't there or making "eye contact" with their foreheads didn't help. Making a real, honest connection always helped steady my nerves. It made it feel more like I had a friend in the audience, not just some guy watching me talk.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:30 AM

If what I'm talking about is something I feel strongly about or am excited about, then it doesn't bother me as much. Also I do better with speaking from an outline of the important points than with a word for word set text to speak from. That way I can 'just talk' about it instead of 'make a speech'. Somehow that helps me with the scaredness. But I do need to feel confident that I know what I'm talking about, whether it is 1 person or a whole bunch of people. Sometimes its harder to talk to just one person - like doing cold call sales - than talking to a group.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:41 AM

Practice, practice, practice... in front of classes; but, sometimes it never goes away, you just get used to presenting anyway. In a doctoral class I was in once a quiet fellow was presenting. He started by telling everyone that he would rather be doing just about anything rather than standing in front of everyrone, what he was doing now... he and everyone giggled and laughed because we all could identify. No one thought any less of him and he became very charming and well-liked. Dont worry about it... we have all been there.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 AM

I was always the shyest kied, hiding behind my father. Terrified about any group speak, but finally I had a messsagethat I thought was important to share. I knew my subject, studied my presentation, tape recorded it so I could listen to it while driving. The big day came. My legs were so weak I thought I could not walk. When finally stabilixed, my legs would not move. Got to podium in a haze. The intro from the moderator, then I was on. My voice would not work, I know it looked like I was gasping for air. I opened with "It is said the most commonly shared fear is public speaking........and I am TERRIFIED". The audience laughed, the "I'm with you" laugh, heads were nodding, a few murmured "I'm with you". I found a kind face and survived. I used that opening line for years, and now I don't have to. {rA
Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 AM

You all are so kind to share your similar experiences. I realize now some very important things that could have helped me.

My topic was about weapons created during WWI and I really didn't feel comfortable with the subject. I even jokingly told the class before I started if they had any questions afterwards about the subject not to ask me.
Another thing I realize now is that I should have practiced, practiced, practiced reading my paper! I figured reading it would be a breeze and I didn't need to. I won't do that again.

I have given a couple of presentations to this same class before and practically had my lines memorized and wasn't this scared. So I know it makes a difference. I just wish I could be like others who got up and talked so easy and appeared unafraid.

Thanks for all your help!