Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Stain and Weather Seal to work together on a garden obelisk? >

Stain and Weather Seal to work together on a garden obelisk?

Stain and Weather Seal to work together on a garden obelisk?

Old 06-07-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Stain and Weather Seal to work together on a garden obelisk?

This is way off-topic. I hope there are woodworkers/gardeners here who can possibly answer a question for me.

Even as I type, hubby is building a darling garden obelisk. It's made from fir 2x2s and 2x1s. It will be about 28" wide at each base, about 7" square at the top, and about 5'6" tall.

I want it to use a "transparent" or "semi-transparent" stain in a dark plum color; he thinks we should add a coat of Thompson's weather seal (satin or flat finish) over that.

Does anyone know what brand and type of stain I can use, and which satin or flat weather seal would work well together?

This obelisk will be in the front (east) garden. This year it will be covered with orange and yellow Thumbergia vines; next year I'll plant purple Clematis on it.

I appreciate any stain+weather seal suggestions you can offer.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

In this situation I would go to a Sherwin-Williams paint store and ask. I don't think there would be an issue combining most stains with a weather seal, as that is what is done on a lot of decks.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:53 PM

I have no idea of brand but when I lived on a lake and we had to stain the dock every year and put a weather sealer on it. My dad was the one buying the products and it supposedly was made for the docks is all I can tell you. He passed away in 2000 so I can't ask him. My sisters & I did the painting, he did the buying. :-)
Old 06-08-2015, 02:15 AM

I would love to see a picture - please......I am also a quilter / gardener / - always looking for ideas - admiring others creativity - thank you! robin
Old 06-08-2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
In this situation I would go to a Sherwin-Williams paint store and ask. I don't think there would be an issue combining most stains with a weather seal, as that is what is done on a lot of decks.
My son worked for them for years.....they have the best products but please follow their advice to the l letter. Many products do not mix from one brand to another...