Still rather shocked

Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Today I received a call from my mortgage broker that I've known for about 8 years. We used her when we bought this house.
Anyways, we're not chummy, or even best friends. We say "Hi" if we see each other in town, etc.
With the passing of my DH, the kids and I were thinking of moving, so I called her and my real estate agent (the one who sold us this house) to see what the market was like and what I would have to do to the house to sell it. I was just feeling the market and kicking around ideas.. which they both knew.
After all the comps were in and taking alot of other things into consideration, I decided that right now isn't the time to sell.

Well today I get a call from my mortgage broker. She says she just calling to "chit chat" and see how we're doing. Asks about me, the kids, talked about me staying put for awhile, etc..
Then she says "I have something to ask you and don't know how to ask other than to just come out with it". I said ok hesitantly..then she says "I'm wanting to know if you could let me borrow $2800 and I'll pay you back or I could take out a loan and you could co-sign for me, but I'd pay the payments" She didn't tell me what the money was for, other than it was "really important" that she get this money. Oooh and she's not working either..

Of course I'm not going to give her any money or co-sign, but still.. How can people be so gusty or insensative to the fact that I didn't win the lottery, I lost my husband who made sure that he provided for the kids and I??? I just don't get it..
Old 10-28-2011, 05:52 PM

That has to be the most bizarre thing I have ever heard! I think I would have responded with laughter, or something like "You can't POSSIBLY be serious".....
Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 PM

Boy that took brass "balls" sorry for your loss.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Goodness sakes... how rude. Good for you .... I would not touch that with a 10 foot pole... as my Mom would say. Sounds like trouble for sure.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Perhaps is was her personal desperation talking. Maybe there is no one out there for her. It is not your responsibility to personally help her, but maybe she thinks you might be able to help to show her other solutions. You have been through a lot and perhaps she sees great strength in you.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:56 PM

I can understand why the unethical woman isn't working! If she had an employer I would inform them of the call.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your husband.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 PM

My guess would be that she thinks a grieving widow with life Ins money is a easy mark. Good for you for being smart and wise. Sorry for your loss, it is hard to believe some one could be so heartless and insensitive at this time.

Originally Posted by tuesy
Today I received a call from my mortgage broker that I've known for about 8 years. We used her when we bought this house.
Anyways, we're not chummy, or even best friends. We say "Hi" if we see each other in town, etc.
With the passing of my DH, the kids and I were thinking of moving, so I called her and my real estate agent (the one who sold us this house) to see what the market was like and what I would have to do to the house to sell it. I was just feeling the market and kicking around ideas.. which they both knew.
After all the comps were in and taking alot of other things into consideration, I decided that right now isn't the time to sell.

Well today I get a call from my mortgage broker. She says she just calling to "chit chat" and see how we're doing. Asks about me, the kids, talked about me staying put for awhile, etc..
Then she says "I have something to ask you and don't know how to ask other than to just come out with it". I said ok hesitantly..then she says "I'm wanting to know if you could let me borrow $2800 and I'll pay you back or I could take out a loan and you could co-sign for me, but I'd pay the payments" She didn't tell me what the money was for, other than it was "really important" that she get this money. Oooh and she's not working either..

Of course I'm not going to give her any money or co-sign, but still.. How can people be so gusty or insensative to the fact that I didn't win the lottery, I lost my husband who made sure that he provided for the kids and I??? I just don't get it..

OMG!... I'm at a loss for words. I can't believe someone would have the nerve! I would be tempted to report her to the mortgage brokers board!...
I am very SORRY for your loss, prayers and blessings to you and your family!...

Bizarre is right!! If this person has a boss I think I'd be calling them & let them know what happened!
I am sorry for your loss. I am glad you and your kids have been provided for.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:59 PM

Sounds like she's quite desperate, enough so to realize she has nothing to lose by asking.

I agree, I wouldn't loan her the money (unless you felt you could afford the risk of never seeing it again and she tells you exactly what it's for - of course, if you co-signed a loan for her, you'd probably learn what it's for). But I wouldn't take offense at her asking, since she probably isn't trying to be an opportunist.

I'd be shocked, too, though.