Stink Bugs

Old 03-06-2015, 06:17 AM

So sorry to hear about your stinker problem...we had a horrible run in with them about three years ago. What a nightmare! You really MUST find out HOW they are getting into your house and repair, caulk or stuff with insulation. We got rid of them by going over every inch of the outside of our house and caulking etc. We did spray the entire outside of house with pesticide two Autumns in a row, after checking and closing cracks, because of the pheromone trail they leave for others to follow...it lasts for years! Its a lot of work to go over a house with a fine toothed comb but it payed off for us...no more stinkers. If you find out where they are getting in and close it off AND any other places they can enter you will get rid of them. Hard work but worth it. This past Autumn we didn't have to spray pesticides on the house...the stinkers are gone.

Squirt them with regular alcohol in the house...it kills them but you have to squirt their gross bellies. When you squirt, they usually flip over...squirt them again and they will die without squishing them. Alcohol will also help get rid of their stink. I learned more about the Asian stinkers than I want to know...really gross creatures with no known predators here in the US.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:24 AM

Quilt 1950, I hate to tell you, but the bugs have wintered over in your house and are now getting ready to move outdoors. They are terrible here in TN! Good luck getting rid of them. What about a sealable jar of turpentine to drop the buggers in? I hate them!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:29 AM

We have had them because they come in on our firewood, and we heat exclusively with wood. This year we have another type of disgusting looking bug, that looks like a shield, but doesn't stink when squished. We just have to put up with them. I cut up scraps of batting to grab them and squeeze.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Not that I've found/heard of. They are highly annoying. But it is a misnomer that they stink if you squish them.
Well,mine sure stink if you squash them ! Wow, the odor lasts a long time too. Bugs are crawling out of their hiding places and we have never figured out how to stop them.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Hit them with hairspray when you see them. It's like spraying them with epoxy glue and they burn. We've been lucky and have not seen any down here last couple years. Might be because DH has mixture of Dawn he adds to cayenne and mint. He sprays with the Dawn and mint oil/extract then puts the cayenne in a condiment bottle with the plastic nozzle and squirts that onto the Dawn. The cayenne sticks to the Dawn and mint mix. He does this on he inside and outside perimeter of the house and around any cracks and crevices.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM

Several years ago we had a terrible problem with those nasty bugs - they were all over the outside of the house. You had to be so vigilent whe opening doors and I actually put the blue painters tape around the bottom of the window screens in my room and my sewing room. Our house as those windows that crank open and the screens all seem to have a little bend from being taken out or put back into place over the window handle. We actually mixed the Dawn detergent with water and put it in a lawn sprayer and sprayed the windows, doors and siding. That helped, but then we needed to have some work on the furnace and the guy suggested we get the chimney cleaned, and it's a pretty big chimney cause the house has a fireplace that the previous owner converted to gas, anyway, we had it cleaned and they must have sucked out literally thousands of dead bugs. Since then we have had a lot less of those bugs around. Now we really only see them on extremely hot days. Of course, we are still finding dead ones in boxes in the garages. But never, never, never, squish them--it is proven that the smell of dead stink bugs does bring more. And from all the research we have done on line there is really no product out there that can really kill these bugs.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:38 AM

In Va it's bad!! Forgot what my husbands daughter says they do to repel them but she did say it's a No-No to swat them as they smell bad!
Old 03-06-2015, 10:55 AM

Go to the DAWN dish soap site and you will find all kinds of 'recipes' for bug deterrents. You can use them in your house and gardens safely. Also at your doorways lay down a line of table salt. For some reason most bugs won't cross over the salt. Last year was horrible for flea's -my Dad said to sprinkle table salt on all the carpets-let it sit for a couple days then vacuum.Then repeat to kill any hatchlings. It worked. I even done this on my wood and tiled floors. I put 1/4 cup salt in a spray bottle of water and sprayed it on the ant trails in my counters and they quit coming around too.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:59 PM

We have them here in Georgia, too. They're AWFUL. They keep turning up in our master bedroom and the adjoining bathroom, but we can't figure out how they're getting in. We've been gently but quickly swooping them up in a wad of toilet paper and flushing them, but they just keep right on coming in. So far we haven't had any that stunk, but maybe the toilet paper covered the smell.

I know a creature can't help it's appearance, but they are so UGLY! Eeeewwww!

What I REALLY hate is being in the bathroom, either taking a shower or potty-ing, and you happen to look up, and there's one on the ceiling right above you. Please don't fall please don't fall please don't fall please don't fall please don't fall ....
Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 PM

spread a line of Comet cleanser along the doorway or garagedoorway that they are coming in. It will stop them