Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Stocking Stuffers for college kids? >

Stocking Stuffers for college kids?

Stocking Stuffers for college kids?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 AM

For years, the stockings have always been my kids favorite part of Christmas gifts... but as they are older now, both in college... its getting harder to find fun things to put in there. And expensive, too!! What do you put in stockings for your college age crowd? Boys seem to be especially tough!

My daughter gets chap stick (She loves Burts Bees), hand lotion, socks, maybe a special soap, chocolate, gum, maybe a fun marker or pen for school....

My son... maybe a pair of wild boxer shorts, socks, baseball cards (he collects), a little puzzle or game if I find something small enough to fit.

For both... gift card to movie theater, gas card or fast food gift certificate.

What else? Any good ideas out there?!!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 AM

If they have Ipods maybe some Itunes cards. Books, magazines, Scratch tickets
Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you have some great ideas already and stockings that are amply stuffed! Does your son like beef jerky? That might be a nice edible treat to add if he likes it. Maybe a favorite magazine rolled up and tied with ribbon? Your local NAPA store might offer some great ideas. They usually have small tool kits or maybe you could buy individual tools, a wrench, screwdriver. Maybe the small sizes for working on computers? Little flashlight.

For daughter, I know I can always use nice nail file/emory board. Walmart used to carry a really nice one that has like a fiberboard filler and it measured about 7" long and about an inch wide and the emory part was black. It is my most favorite type of nail file. Rougher on one side.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 AM

Oh, yes!! Magazines are always a great idea...we have done that too! And yes... forgot about the Beef Jerky for my son! A must!! They do love those scratch off lottery tickets, too. They will both get their ow nail clippers this year since mine keeps disappearing!

I want the little flashlight for myself!! Good ideas! Thanks!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 AM

In my family's stockings I try to give everyone at least one small gift, something nice or useful. Last year I gave each one a lighted, telescoping magnet wand, good for picking up small metal objects (I use one at the sewing machine for pins I drop). Usually I add a couple of gift cards to favorite fast food restaurants. I also put several different Christmas candies in each stocking, like marshmallow santas, candy canes, etc. But then I also put in fun stuff. Sometimes its wind-up toys or little pocket games. Often it's something silly, like a reindeer that poops out jellybeans. Now my grown children are also adding things as well, so we have a grand time discovering and displaying what we find in those bulging overflowing stockings.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ShowMama
In my family's stockings I try to give everyone at least one small gift, something nice or useful. Last year I gave each one a lighted, telescoping magnet wand, good for picking up small metal objects (I use one at the sewing machine for pins I drop). Usually I add a couple of gift cards to favorite fast food restaurants. I also put several different Christmas candies in each stocking, like marshmallow santas, candy canes, etc. But then I also put in fun stuff. Sometimes its wind-up toys or little pocket games. Often it's something silly, like a reindeer that poops out jellybeans. Now my grown children are also adding things as well, so we have a grand time discovering and displaying what we find in those bulging overflowing stockings.
That's what opening stockings has always been like at our house too... lots of fun and everyone's favorite! ( I could use one of those magnet wands!!)
Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 AM
BMP

I didnt do stockings last year, I warned my kids (grown and gone) I was cutting back. Well I have heard about it since they would rather have the stockings and cut something else out !! Go figure !!! I dont think I will do a "stocking" but am going to get some nice gift bags to use in place of and also will include the girl friends.

They always like all the little goodies, gas cards, food cards to places they enjoy, snacks, lottery tickets, toothbrushes, shower gel.

Another thing is a mini sewing kit with a few needles, thread and a few safety pins.

When they both moved out I also did a First Aid kit for them, I just bought a plastic storage shoe box and put in things they would need, cold meds, band-aids tylenol, ETC.
They both liked getting those it was useful and things they would need and not have to buy.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 AM

When i really want inexpensive..i shop the Dollar Store. They have a much larger selection of "stuff" at the Holiday time. I can get all the things they would never think to buy like mini flashlights, touch lights, screwdriver sets etc. Kids don't think to have the handy tools available until they need one! Plus they have a good supply of "beauty" goods for girls.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 AM

deck of cards, highlighters & you can't forget the toothbrush!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 AM

You have some great ideas already! How about a roll of quarters for the vending machines at school? Also, check out the travel aisle of your local store for small body sprays, tissues, band aids, shampoos, deodorants, etc. Fun and practical!