Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Stray cats are no longer welcome here..... >

Stray cats are no longer welcome here.....

Stray cats are no longer welcome here.....

Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 AM

I've never had a problem with stray cats coming around. Usually if they let you near them they're friendly and they keep the mouse population down. There are two that have been hanging around between here and another house down the road for awhile. Now a new one has joined them.....a big orange tomcat. There's a live trap in my yard trying to catch it. Yesterday it bit ds. It seemed friendly.....rubbed against his legs...then when he bent down to pet it it attacked him. Bit him in the ear. He had blood running down his neck......after several phone calls with the health dept and AC, I took him in to the ER to be seen. He has to undergo the shots to prevent rabies and is on antibiotics for 10 days. He was a trooper...not a single tear out of him. IF we can catch the cat, and if they can test it quickly, he might not have to finish the shots but right now the cat is avoiding the trap. We've caught the two we know several time though.....if AC does not catch it we will have to shoot it. I am not going to have it around here. So warn your kids/grandkids NOT to mess with stray cats! Ds would run inside if there was a stray dog out there but for some reason he thought a stray cat would be harmless.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:18 AM

I am so sorry that your DS is having to take the shots. I have said a prayer that the cat will be found and trapped. May God be with you.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM

So sorry to hear that you and your son have to go through this. Hopefully he doesn't have to finish the shots.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

So sorry for your DS. I pray the cat does not have rabies.

My late DH would take a can tuna and poke holes in it. Then he placed it in the live trap and would catch the cat every time.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
So sorry for your DS. I pray the cat does not have rabies.

My late DH would take a can tuna and poke holes in it. Then he placed it in the live trap and would catch the cat every time.
I'm so sorry to hear your DS was hurt and now has to have the shots. The can of tuna is a great idea to put into the live catch pen. If you don't have one you're local animal control office should have them to either buy or rent. Some offer them for free to catch dangerous animals. As this is a cat and at first seems friendly they should be very concerned for the public's safety. They could possibly be held accountable if they know this animal is in the area and do nothing to assist in getting it caught. I would also contact your local police department about the animal along with local veterinary clinics.

Please keep us updated on your DS and how things are going.

Pam M
Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 AM

Animal Control has supplied a trap and is trying to catch it. They'll keep the trap here for 10 days. DS's ear is huge today. I know some swelling is normal though. I'm just watching for signs of infection or it getting worse. I've been giving him ibuprofen to hopefully help. I cleaned it this morning and it is very sore. He's restless. It hurts if he moves too much and he's sore from the shots. I may have him do some schoolwork this afternoon just to give him something to do. He is looking out the window and checking that trap frequently though! He wants that cat caught.
You know growing up we played with the cats at my grandparents all the time and none of them ever had a rabies shot...they'd come and go from there...
I have been around cats all my life and have never had one go ballistic like this one did.