Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sugar...no longer sweet???? >

Sugar...no longer sweet????

Sugar...no longer sweet????

Old 01-31-2014, 01:14 PM

Default Sugar...no longer sweet????

Is it just me or is sugar just not as sweet as it used to be the last couple of years? I always buy the same high quality brand. I never mentioned it to anyone for fear they would think I was Looney Tunes but today my son made the same observation. 3 heaping teaspoons of sugar should surely sweeten a cup of tea...shouldn't' it????...or a bowl of cereal? Since I am primarily a "savory" person who rarely does sweets you would think 3 teaspoons would knock my socks off!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

I have not noticed this.

Three heaping teaspoons of sugar is a *lot* of sugar for a cup of tea! Can it be your taste bugs are becoming accustomed to the amount of sugar? I drink my tea plain and cannot imagine being able to drink a cup with that much sugar in it.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:32 PM

I'm not a sugar person so don't know. I only use it for baking and for humming bird food.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:47 PM

I am a sugar person, and think that lately sugar is not as sweet. But I think it is just me not the sugar. Maybe I am not as sweet as I used to be so need extra sweetening
Old 01-31-2014, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I have not noticed this.

Three heaping teaspoons of sugar is a *lot* of sugar for a cup of tea! Can it be your taste bugs are becoming accustomed to the amount of sugar? I drink my tea plain and cannot imagine being able to drink a cup with that much sugar in it.

I don't honestly think so because 90% of the beverages I consume in a day are black, no sugar, coffee. Tea...maybe once a week or less. Almost never have candy because it's just too sweet and on the rare occasion I treat myself to to doughnut I either have to force myself to finish it or I pitch it.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I haven't noticed any difference but I am trying to cut back due to the new sugar guidelines. I think my taste buds are less sensitive as I get older.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Is it just me or is sugar just not as sweet as it used to be the last couple of years? I always buy the same high quality brand. I never mentioned it to anyone for fear they would think I was Looney Tunes but today my son made the same observation. 3 heaping teaspoons of sugar should surely sweeten a cup of tea...shouldn't' it????...or a bowl of cereal? Since I am primarily a "savory" person who rarely does sweets you would think 3 teaspoons would knock my socks off!!!

3 teaspoons...that's a lot.
Made me think about Maxwell Smart. He would put 13 teaspoons (I think!) in his beverage and then, when he tasted it, he'd complain that it was cold. Ha! Ha!
Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:18 PM

Are you using a sugar substitute at any point? I started using Splenda several years ago (I have diabetes) and now sugar does not taste sweet at all any more. I heard that Splenda is 10 times sweeter than sugar. Just a thought.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

I was wondering how sweetness is measured and came across this:
http://lexicon.dansukker.com/print_expl.asp?id=232
Apparently sweetness can be measured only relative to something, and that something is sugar. The change in perceived taste of sugar seems to be due to changes in the individual doing the tasting. As someone else mentioned, taste buds change with age.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

people say 'oh , that's to sweet'
how can something be too sweet?