Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Super Easy Free Baby Crib Sheet Pattern and Tutorial >

Super Easy Free Baby Crib Sheet Pattern and Tutorial

Super Easy Free Baby Crib Sheet Pattern and Tutorial

Old 11-22-2017, 03:30 PM

Default Super Easy Free Baby Crib Sheet Pattern and Tutorial

I just found the greatest online tutorial and free pattern for a baby's crib sheet. I was trying to use up some of my flannel stash, and asked my daughter-in-law if there was anything she would like. She said how about flannel sheets? She had made some cotton ones earlier in the year for her two little ones using this tutorial https://whatthehay.wordpress.<wbr>com/2008/10/08/crib-sheet-<wbr>tutorial/ They only take me about 15 minutes to whip up, they use 2 yards of fabric. I made a really easy pattern in Publisher and printed it out on card stock, but found that once you cut your pattern out of flannel it's very easy to just stick it to the next piece of flannel and not have to bother with the pattern. I have a serger, so I haven't used the French seam method that is shown, and seems to work well. Make sure and wash the fabric in hot water and dry it on high to shrink it as much as it's going to before you sew it up. My biggest hint is this, Hobby Lobby sells packs of ribbon assortments for $1.99. You get 30 pieces in the bag, each 2 yards long. Some of these pieces are elastic like that is used in lingerie. They work perfect for these crib sheets, that's what my daughter-in-law used for the ones she made about 6 months ago and they're still going strong. The bags of assorted ribbon are on the bottom of the row, they're not easy to find. When they have ribbon on sale for half price, these bags have always been included, that is when I stock up. I use the other ribbon in the assortments for hair bows and taggie blankets. I have made over a dozen crib sheets so far, most of them are to donate. I know many of you sew to donate and make quilts for babies, how cute would it be to have a matching crib sheet! When I took my donations in, they were thrilled, crib sheets are always needed and seldom given.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:02 PM

I looked at the free pattern. Sometimes I make crib sheets at a local organization for children in foster care. Now I won't have to wing it.

Last edited by cathyvv; 11-22-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:19 PM

Once you make one, I think you will find they go really fast, it took me longer to draw the pattern out than it did to make one. I saved my pattern as a PDF if you would like it, send me a PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:12 AM

Thank you for the link! Looking forward to making several of these.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the link and there is a pdf download of the pattern included!
Old 11-24-2017, 08:19 AM

The PDF download is great, but I believe it only shows you how to make a pattern. I could not find a pattern for each of the different size cut outs you need, depending on the width of your fabric. That is the PDF I made. I could be wrong, but I could not find one on the page. Regardless, she did a fantastic job explaining, and I am very thankful to have found it.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JustRetired View Post
I just found the greatest online tutorial and free pattern for a baby's crib sheet. I was trying to use up some of my flannel stash, and asked my daughter-in-law if there was anything she would like. She said how about flannel sheets? She had made some cotton ones earlier in the year for her two little ones using this tutorial https://whatthehay.wordpress.<wbr>com/2008/10/08/crib-sheet-<wbr>tutorial/ They only take me about 15 minutes to whip up, they use 2 yards of fabric. I made a really easy pattern in Publisher and printed it out on card stock, but found that once you cut your pattern out of flannel it's very easy to just stick it to the next piece of flannel and not have to bother with the pattern. I have a serger, so I haven't used the French seam method that is shown, and seems to work well. Make sure and wash the fabric in hot water and dry it on high to shrink it as much as it's going to before you sew it up. My biggest hint is this, Hobby Lobby sells packs of ribbon assortments for $1.99. You get 30 pieces in the bag, each 2 yards long. Some of these pieces are elastic like that is used in lingerie. They work perfect for these crib sheets, that's what my daughter-in-law used for the ones she made about 6 months ago and they're still going strong. The bags of assorted ribbon are on the bottom of the row, they're not easy to find. When they have ribbon on sale for half price, these bags have always been included, that is when I stock up. I use the other ribbon in the assortments for hair bows and taggie blankets. I have made over a dozen crib sheets so far, most of them are to donate. I know many of you sew to donate and make quilts for babies, how cute would it be to have a matching crib sheet! When I took my donations in, they were thrilled, crib sheets are always needed and seldom given.
The animal shelter here loves crib sheets for their community rooms..they are kind of pricey so I will have to check this out.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:25 PM

Thanks for sharing. It's a useful pattern.