Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Swollen Paws/Feet on Dogs...Medical Question

Banned
    My mother has a beagle thats about 10 years old. He has very swollen paws/feet that seem to be tender. He has had this off and on for awhile. She has taken him to 2 vets. They really don't know what it is, they just say its an internal fungal or bacterial infection of some kind thats causing it. Creams, ointments, etc. doesn't help I guess because its something internal. Anyone else have this problem or know what to do about it?

Swollen feet in humans can be a sign of kidney disease, I believe. Why wouldn't it be the same in dogs?

Years ago we had a long haired Chihuahua, he started to swell up the vet said he had kidney problems. He was also urinating everywhere and it a lot of blood in it. He was about 12 years old, he lived with us for about 4 years after someone dumped him off on our road. We were happy we were able to give him a peaceful life in his remaining years.
    And the dog we had when I was a child had the same problem he was around 16 when he passed on.

If it hasn't been done already I'd suggest blood tests. You need to find out about the liver and kidney functions.

Banned
    Well...none of that sounds very good. :-(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Well...none of that sounds very good. :-(
    True Marsye, but it's better to have it checked out. If the dog is uncomfortable, maybe they can give it something for that. I wish him luck.

Don't know what could be causing it, but when my dog had sore paws, I put Epsom salts in a tub of warm water and put him in it to soak his paws. It helps take some of the tenderness out.

I would go to another vet. after mine got 7 yr.s old the vet. wants to do a senior panel - blood tests to see how everything is functioning. Medicines can help lots of things, sometimes there are better med.s for animals than there is for us. Check for thorns and splinters also.

Blog Entries
    If the beagle is overweight, common problem with them, have blood checked for liver/kidney disease. The test should not be too expensive but treatment can beprohibitive.