T_shirt Dress

Old 06-12-2015, 07:46 PM

Default T_shirt Dress

I have lots of women's t-shirts. How much fabric would be needed to sew just above the waist to make a mid calf or longer summer comfy dress for around the house???? I know it needs to be gathered some and I just want it to slip over my head.

TIA! Jennifer
Old 06-12-2015, 11:04 PM

Can't give you an exact measurement because it depends on your height. Double the measurement from above the waist to mid calf or longer and add some for a hem and the seam allowance. Little tip that I learned the hard way: stretch the t shirt a little bit as you are stitching.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:06 AM

I made one a couple weeks ago...it is so comfortable...I used two widths of fabric about 36 inches long and still had a 2 in hem. I am 5 ft 9 1/2 in tall. The dress is really too big but the shirt at shoulders is fine. Rather too big than too small.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:04 AM

I can't picture this dress design. Is there a pic somewhere? I have seen at Walmart, summer long dresses that are merely tank tops to the floor...oh they look so comfy, I'm tempted to buy one! Lately I'm noticing many women wearing long skirted dresses, skirts......looks classy
Old 06-13-2015, 05:58 AM

Walgreen's is now selling clothes and they are inexpensive. Check there.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:24 AM

I made one of these, my tip is to put the t-shirt on and have some one measure and mark a cut line on the t-shirt all the way around. I'm busty, and I just cut the t-shirt off where I thought I wanted it. It looks good until I put it on. The front of the t-shirt doesn't look right because the seam is higher than the sides and back. Add that extra length in front if you are busty. Kind of like if you have a big bottom, the back of the skirt will be higher. I am short and thin so one yard of fabric attached to the t-shirt was long enough for me to go just to my ankle. Width of fabric went around hips and I have plenty of ease.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:42 AM

I made one by adding the fabric to the hem of the t-shirt, rather than at waist level, that made it easier to do because the hem was already reinforced. The gathers made it sort of a dropped waist look and I only took the fabric to my knee. I used 1 yard, cut down the middle lengthwise, as I only needed about 18" of fabric drop.

I will add, my sister bought one of those long dresses at Walmart last summer and loved it so much she went back and bought 3 more! She says they are the most comfortable things she owns. She got some of the ones with sleeves also and wears them almost everywhere. They wash and dry very well also.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:10 PM

Thanks ladies for all your input!
I've got lots of information to think about and measurements to take.
You've given me a few eye openers I had not thought of before. I have not made clothing in 35+ , years.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:30 AM

Of course, there are no pictures!!
http://www.ehow.com/how_12130176_mak...rt-tshirt.html
Old 06-14-2015, 02:34 PM

Thank you for the link!
I'm not going to be selfish with this idea! I've just signed up to make quilts for Project Linus and a matching t-shirt dress would be great.
Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post