talk about up in the air!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 AM

My hubby is unemployed. That part is kind of a long story so I'll skip it, this part is long enough. Anyway, last week his old boss called and asked if he was ready to come back to work at his old job. He said he had a guy getting ready to quit. Well, come to find out the guy getting ready to quit is actually stealing from the company and when they have him red handed they'll fire him. But that could be a week or two or even a month from now. Hubby has also said something about going back to his old company as an hourly instead of a supervisor until the supervisor position opens up. But if he does that I'm afraid we won't get the moving allowance and we *really* need that!

Plus this month is the month when all the training takes place for tax preparers. There's not much point in taking the training for a company here that doesn't have an office where we'll move to. And it's too late to get hired on and train with one of the companies there. It looks like I won't be doing taxes for yet another year. It's my quilt money for the year though!!

And then there's the whole issue of where to live. Hubby's just going to have to suck it up and drive 35 to 40 miles to work because I will not live in the Oklahoma Panhandle again. I'm willing to go back if we can live on the Kansas side. There are three towns on the Kansas side that will be a 35 to 40 mile drive for him but that's three different towns to hunt for a place to rent. And even though they're all about the same distance from the plant where hubby will work they're each about 30 miles apart.

<sigh>
Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM

Just hang in there and see what happens. Turmoil is especially hard at this time of year. Maybe go ahead and take the tax prep training and then if you are still in the area you will have the work. My daughter is also out of work and would give anything to be employed, so I understand the feeling of unrest that you have. Try to be positive and know we're thinking of you!!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 AM

If it is of any consolation, my life has been up in the air as well since May 2008. First we were moving to California from NY, without a relocation package. Then DH came back and we were going to stay in Plattsburgh, just sell our home and rent an apartment. Then I lost my job and we relocated partially to NYC. If I get a job I get a moving allowance, if I don't I am on my own, but if I go to school they may pay for it, but I cannot go to school over the summer because then the program is too short and too expensive for them to pay for it and if I don't go to school over the summer I don't get my unemployment check for the summer. But if I go to school my unemployment ends two months before my school and again, no income. see? I an up in the air and not getting used to it.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
If it is of any consolation, my life has been up in the air as well since May 2008. First we were moving to California from NY, without a relocation package. Then DH came back and we were going to stay in Plattsburgh, just sell our home and rent an apartment. Then I lost my job and we relocated partially to NYC. If I get a job I get a moving allowance, if I don't I am on my own, but if I go to school they may pay for it, but I cannot go to school over the summer because then the program is too short and too expensive for them to pay for it and if I don't go to school over the summer I don't get my unemployment check for the summer. But if I go to school my unemployment ends two months before my school and again, no income. see? I an up in the air and not getting used to it.
All together now, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!!

I feel better, how about you?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Been there, done that. It stinks. First we were moving to Nebraska. Hubby lived out there for 8 months while I was home with the kids. Housing was impossible. An opportunity came up back here again, so he came back. That job moved to Mexico. He commuted to Mexico City for a year. Two weeks here; one week here. He has finally found a job 60 miles from here and is commuting for now.

The job situation has put so many people in these crazy situations. We can only hope it gets better before we all go crazy.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 PM

Well at least if we all go crazy we will do it together (big sigh). One thing I put my faith in is the resilence of us! Together we are better so no matter what, pull together and compromise (both sides) where it is necessary. Life is a wonderful place to be and sharing and caring can make it all worthwhile.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by Maride
All together now, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!!

I feel better, how about you?
Feel better too.

I just got an e-mail two seconds ago that since my unemployment office messed up my paperwork, they will add 6K to my school fund. Now all I need is a $750 scholarship. Anyone giving away scholarship to future Funeral Directors?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad we have this board to vent to each other. Times are crazy that's for sure!
But we have each other :)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 PM

A little bit of an update, hubby should be going back to work the 20th at his old job.

Since we have a lease and would be stuck paying for this house until they rented it and we'd also be paying for utilities I'm just going to stay here until the lease is almost up. Right now the rental agency has a two page list of rentals so I really don't have a lot of faith they'll rent it before our lease is up anyway.

Hubby is just going to stay in a motel. Even though it won't be cheap it'll still be cheaper than two houses.

The biggest plus to staying here is I get to have the time to go thru everything as I pack instead of just throwing it all in a box as fast as possible. The people on freecycle will benefit a lot!