Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
tell me about your alaskan travel experience please. >

tell me about your alaskan travel experience please.

tell me about your alaskan travel experience please.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM

A fact that is not true is that you cannot see glaciers from the land. At portage you can get very close to the glacier and then in Seward you can walk right up to the Glacier at Exit Glacier. There is also a rescue park at Girdwood that you can get very up close and personal with some of the wild animals in Alaska.

Originally Posted by flikkem View Post
[email protected]
This company provided us a free video of their Alaskan trip. We took it and were very very happy.
A number of people I spoke with who had taken this cruise regretted that they did not add the rail trip from Anchorage to Denali which was an optional part of this package. We took it and liked it. I particularly wanted to include Anchorage because I lived there many years ago and wanted to visit again. We were able to do that on this tour. You will not be able to get the fantastic glacier views by land that you can get by sea. We had a window in our cabin (you stay warm that way). This is one cruise that it's worth the extra money. Even in August it will be quite cool outside your cabin on a cruise ship. The cruise we took stopped at three Alaskan ports. We took optional land excursions at each one. The whale watching was our favorite. No experience with motor homes.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM

I went on the Alaskan cruise (Holland America) with my mother. We had a great time, going on the inland passage,seeing glaciers and stops in Sitka, Juneau (saw Mendenhall Glacier). Stopped at the quilt shop (http://www.abbysreflection.com/) in Sitka - it was very nice and had some Alaska specific patterns and fabric.

Loved the Bird sanctuary, the Russian church, the wildlife, and the beautiful country. We went the last week of June. Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I worked near Denali last summer. Inland I saw more wildlife near the end of July. If you decide on and cruise with land excursion to Denali... do the land first and boat second (you'll need the ship time to rest). Since I worked inland, I am all about doing the ship cruise and get in some halibut fishing.

Hint ... there is a nice quilt shop across the street from Denali Princess lodge, one in Healy that is only 10 miles from the lodge. Also a really nice shop in Anchorage not far from the Westmark hotel and I am sure more around town. There are also some nice ones in Fairbanks but not as easily accessible.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
thank you ladies. i was hoping some one would talk about the ferry trips from seattle to alaska, or coming back. saw it on a thread ages ago, but when i rechecked the thread. i just couldn't find it. yes, ordered the mile marker book on the alaska trip. it's coming from amazon.com.
Check out RV.net the Canada and Alaska thread on the Forums. You will find lots of information from people who have traveled in Alaska all sorts of different ways. You will have to sign up, but the membership is free. There are 2 Alaska Bibles the Churches book and The Milepost 2013 edition. Don't worry about having an older RV, if it is well maintained and the tires are good you will be just fine.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 AM

Our daughter lives just outside Anchorage in Eagle River. I found the people to be very pleasant and friendly. Everything is expensive ----gallon of milk is around $6 or so. Fruit is also expensive and nothing like we have in Michigan b/c it takes so long to get the produce up to Alaska.
There are many things that you can do that won't cost a ton of money (walk up a glacier in August and throw snowballs is free, pull off the road and watch the whales or look for dall sheep, $20 for a fishing license and fish for salmon) but there are other things (paragliding) that are expensive. Because of the long days in summer, you can find markets with TONS of HUGE produce. If you stop in Anchorage, visit the downtown market (can't remember the official name).
The best time that was recommended was in June and/or July----guess is gets rainy in August. This summer will be my third trip there since they will be receiving a new assignment. I wouldn't miss it....a chance of a lifetime and you can always be frugal if you need to be and splurge on the things that you really want.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:58 AM

We cruised (inside passage) and managed many great experiences: dog sledding, helicopter over the glaciers, kayaking, seeing petroglyphs, wandering the towns. Townspeople were great. When we cruise, we get an outside cabin because my husband is clausterphobic. It just helps him to see that there is an outside. What amazed us was the view from the dining room (short nights in June). Our neatest experience was watching the seals train their young.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:43 PM

I took an inland cruise of Alaska several years ago and it was my 2nd favorite trip of all I have taken. Anchorage, Glaciers and helicopter ride (scary but wonderful), kayaking, great food, shopping, Midnight Sun Train to Denali National Parkwhere we spent two nights and then on to Fairbanks. Great photos of all the great animals, mama bear and two babies were adorable, followed the bus for ages. I was there for 10 days from the end of May and 1st week of June. Weather was perfect. No mosquitos at Denali, was told in a couple of weeks they would be horrible. As I said this was my 2nd favorite trip - no. 1 had to be Israel!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 PM

thx for all the comments ladies. i read them all and made notes. got the mile marker book. and do believe we will get going on this.