Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thanks for the Advice on Arthritis >

Thanks for the Advice on Arthritis

Thanks for the Advice on Arthritis

Old 07-09-2010, 06:05 AM

I have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right hand (it's my dominant hand). Over the past year, I've been rather depressed about this and wondering what the future holds for my hobby. I'm a new quilter, so I hate to think that I might have to quit before I even become good at making quilts.

I still work full-time, surrounded by folks 20-30 years younger than I am, and they simply do not understand what it is like to have this condition. So, I've learned not to talk about it.

I searched this the Quilting Board and found tons of wonderful advice in past threads about this very topic. It's all so encouraging and contains many practical tips. I am going to continue studying all of the information you quilters have posted previously.

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you for taking the time in the past -- you've created a legacy that is helping me today.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 AM

I also have osteoarthritis in my right hand and I use the rice bags you heat up.I will rest my hand on it on under it. I also like the arthritis gloves I bought at Joanns. I can sew with them on. You don't have to quit quilting you just have to spell yourself. I was recommended by another quilter the wax bath , and OOOO it does feel good, but my husband keeps unplugging when I am melting wax. Just a few of my methods of coping with the " Arthuritis".
Old 07-09-2010, 06:18 AM

Quilter's are Very helpful & knowledgeable people and especially on this fabulous board!!! I'm glad that you're finding the answers to your problems. Everyone is very encouraging!!!
Hopefully you'll be able to continue this wonderful art without too many kinks. I also have medical ISSUES and have found the same with so many on this board. We all hang in there and lift each other up when we're having one of those days. As my DH tells me so often "All days are good, just some are better than others!" I try to follow this on a daily basis and it seems to help me get thru the days.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:20 AM

I have it in my right hand also. I also use the salve that has aspirin in it often. Just a little where the pain is so bad helps. I still piece but do very little hand quilting. I do other handwork though.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 AM

I have it in my right hand also. I also use the salve that has aspirin in it often. Just a little where the pain is so bad helps. I still piece but do very little hand quilting. I do other handwork though.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM

I have arthritis in my hands & quilting became my "therapy" when I retired from teaching in 1996. I machine quilt & my machine sits down in the cabinet so that I have a large flat surface. The holding with fingers spread out flat & moving the quilt as it stitches with the walking foot is a great exercise for stretching the fingers.

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
I have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right hand (it's my dominant hand). Over the past year, I've been rather depressed about this and wondering what the future holds for my hobby. I'm a new quilter, so I hate to think that I might have to quit before I even become good at making quilts.

I still work full-time, surrounded by folks 20-30 years younger than I am, and they simply do not understand what it is like to have this condition. So, I've learned not to talk about it.

I searched this the Quilting Board and found tons of wonderful advice in past threads about this very topic. It's all so encouraging and contains many practical tips. I am going to continue studying all of the information you quilters have posted previously.

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you for taking the time in the past -- you've created a legacy that is helping me today.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:12 PM

ask your doctor about physical therapy exercises that you can do at home. dh has very bad arthritus in his knee and he does lightweight ankle weights and also stationary bike pedaling. there's probably something for your hand. don't be depressed about it. there's help.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:13 PM

I have rheumatoid arthritis, and it's evident in my feet and my hands. My rheumy said that my typing at my job and my sewing are good for my hands. It keeps my joints moving and my hands "warmed up". Good therapy!!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:15 PM

I have it, too. In both hands, just keep using them...if you don't use it, you lose it...
Mom has reumitoid(sp) also and she ccrochets, every day. Dr. says that is what keeps her hands from getting so much worse. Yes, some days it hurts so much you would like to cry. Just keep going.....
Old 07-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I have it in both hands. The funny thing is since I started machine quilting the pain isn't quite so bad.