Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem" >

"Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem"

"Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem"

Old 08-22-2015, 06:28 PM

If it's a gift, or something I've done which required a bit of effort, I'll usually say, "You're very welcome." If I've done a favor for someone, I'll usually use the 'no problem' response. Why? Because I prefer to downplay the effort to myself, in that circumstance.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:29 PM

This is an age old battle about the use of formal vs everyday use. And usually the people of the "next generation" are the ones who change things around. I'm sure someone from the 1800's wouldn't begin to recognize the way we talk today as the American English they knew.

I remember a comment from a friend when I was in Australia a long time ago about how the young people were so impolite in the shops because they said 'Ta' instead of Thank You. The last time she was here visiting me she was saying 'Ta' all over the place. It just goes to show you how we get use to things.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:38 PM

I use Thanks as an informal Thank you, with friends and family. It is a happy friendly way. I use Thank You in a more formal setting, mostly work emails. It feels very formal and, well, stuffy, to me. But "thanks" at work is too informal.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:47 PM

Thanks and thank you depends on lot of factors such as situation, reason for, and depth of gratitude, an to whom I am speaking. I use no problem, because I get shy when people thank me. *shrugs*
Old 08-23-2015, 01:09 AM

Thinking about it (now), the only time I use the phrase 'no problem' is after someone has thanked me for doing something...and generally it's only in a text message. Otherwise, I guess I'm still a dinosaur and still say Thank You and You're Welcome when writing other than text messages or verbally.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:45 AM

I also like "I was happy to do it," especially when your kind act could have been interpreted as obligatory. A version of "No problem" is a common European response: di niente, de nada, de rien, etc., but "it was nothing" is closer and sounds nicer to me. If you spend hours and hours making a quilt for someone, they thank you profusely and you say, "It was nothing" someone had better let them know it was indeed something so they don't treat it like an acrylic blanket from Walmart.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:02 AM

Never really thought about it. A "thanks" and "no problem" are better than nothing
Old 08-23-2015, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
If it's a gift, or something I've done which required a bit of effort, I'll usually say, "You're very welcome." If I've done a favor for someone, I'll usually use the 'no problem' response. Why? Because I prefer to downplay the effort to myself, in that circumstance.

I agree and have used the 'no problem' response.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:17 AM

How about "pardon me" and "excuse me"? I'm old school in many ways. Mom taught me manners and I've never lost sight of them. Thank you for posting bearisgray.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:56 AM

As long as the feeling is there, I don't get hung up on what words are used. Life is too short to get your knickers in a twist over little things.

I must say, when I volunteer at the food shelf, and the clients thank me (and they always do) I make a point of saying, "You are very welcome." because I mean it and I want them to feel welcome.