Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
There has got to be a faster way to wrap clothesline! >

There has got to be a faster way to wrap clothesline!

There has got to be a faster way to wrap clothesline!

Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Default There has got to be a faster way to wrap clothesline!

I love the fabric baskets made from fabric wrapped clothesline. Wrapping the fabric is boring and tedious and very time consuming. I tried wrapping as I sewed but that didn't work that great. Anyone have a good method to wrapping?
Old 03-25-2012, 02:05 PM

I wrap as I go...I find that easier. My mom brings hers with to long appts and she whips right through them. My mom puts a dab of glue at the end of them and puts a clothes pin on it until she is done with the cord then it's dry enough to take off. Have you seen them done with no fabric on them? Just the clothes line...they are really neat that way too.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

i grab my strip baskets, clothesline, a glue stick & sit in front of a movie- can wrap about 100 feet during a good movie.
often when i'm just watching tv i will sit & wrap- then when i feel like making something i can just go grab a rolled up wrapped line - sit down & sew---generally have a few hundred feet of different colors, textures, wraps sitting around just waiting for me to want them- it's one way i keep my strip baskets from getting out of control.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

It's just so boring to sit and wrap. LOL. I have made them naked and stenciled designs or brushed dyed color on the finished bowls. I like the look of the fabric so I guess I'll just have to wrap.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

I have a friend who makes these baskets, and she wraps only a little bit ahead of where she is sewing. I was at a quilt show recently where Bev Woodard was using fiber cord (not clothesline) to make purses, baskets, etc. She paints the object after it's finished. I'm hoping to find one of her classes to attend.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:20 PM

I wrapped some clothesline a couple of weeks ago - I think my right thumb has just now recovered.

I agree - there must be a better way. Some years ago I was into machine knitting where I used a yarn winder. I was thinking maybe I could retro-fit that to wrap clothesline.

Shari
Old 03-25-2012, 10:37 PM

I tried doing at the sewing machien but it is too slow what with my hands' other abilities. I keep clothesline and material in a particular tote. I take it with me for appointments or where ever I'll be waiting for some while they have a doctor's appointment. I also will wrap while watching TV. Also do it at the quilting meetings when I feel like it.

Yes, my hands get tired. I only do so much at a time so my hands don't get tired. Of course my baskets have a mnore rustic and frayed look. My friends appreciate them a lot and I love the ones I have kept.

Do it how it works best for you.

ali
Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 AM

Cut fabric 2 1/2" x WOF. Fold the left side to the center of the wrong side of fabric, then do the same for the right hand side. Place the clothesline on the center covering where the 2 sides come together and fold both sides over the clothesline then stitch. You can either stitch through the clothesline or just to the side of it. (I hope it's clear. Or, use a pattern by Auntie's Two....she has lots of techniques for covering clothesline.) I used to do clothesline a lot but am now in love with the scrap batting technique that ends up looking like you covered clothesline and is much faster and cheaper because you use scrap batting (and we all have that)!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Default Scrap Batting???

What is this technique? Sounds interesting....
Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by AzSailor View Post
What is this technique? Sounds interesting....
Brenda, the scrap batting technique is kind of long to explain and I'm afraid I'd make it sound hard even though it's really easy. Aunties Two patterns has several patterns to make (that's how I learned the technique). The Bats In The Rug pattern and the Bailey Island Hobo bag are just 2 and they are fun to make. She also has others and I know she is going to have placemats and coasters out after spring market. Essentially what you do is cut 2 1/2" strips of your extra batting. The pieces can be short or long and you fuse them together with Tricoe (sp?). We buy it on rolls that are 2 1/2" wide and cut small pieces to fuse strips together until you make a roll of 2 1/2" batting. The best part is that you can use a mix...you can use poly, wool, cotton or whatever as long as they are similar in weight. You then fold them and fold your fabric over and see. Its quick and easy. Like I said, I can't do this technique justice.