Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is there a trick to getting rid of Phlem? >

Is there a trick to getting rid of Phlem?

Is there a trick to getting rid of Phlem?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM

i just saw on the TV in the last couple of days to take a turnup and cut off the top and hollow out a "cup" in the center. Fill it with brown sugar and let it sit for a few hours. the sugar will turn to a syrup and that is supposed to take care of this. leave it no more then 24 hours on the counter and then put the syrup in the fridge.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

yep, Mucinex DM is what my Dr told me to use. worked great!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:54 PM

When I had pneumonia, the only thing that helped was onions and honey. I lightly steamed my onions (I think the old recipe was for raw), let them cool and added raw honey. It was wonderful with getting rid of junk and the cough. Processed honey might be okay, too.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Baking soda. 1/4 tsp in a glass of water. Effective immediately. It used to actually say this on the baking soda box wayyyyyyyy back when...before the pharma company came out with all those expensive cough remedies.
But seriously try it just once and you will know that it works right away
Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Sometimes it is caused by post nasal drip... you can Irrigate Your nostrils with 1/4 salt without iodine... in a 6 oz glass of warm water... you can buy the new thing for abt. $20.00 at Walmarts petti pot I think it is called or you can use, I do, the bulb syring for cleaning ears or a baby's nose. This does work my ENT is the one told me i needed to do this. You can buy the saline already made up also. Just cheaper to buy noniodinize salt and tap water. Believe me you will be suprized at what comes out sometimes
:shock: :lol: :lol: BillsBonBon
Old 01-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
Sometimes it is caused by post nasal drip... you can Irrigate Your nostrils with 1/4 salt without iodine... in a 6 oz glass of warm water... you can buy the new thing for abt. $20.00 at Walmarts petti pot I think it is called or you can use, I do, the bulb syring for cleaning ears or a baby's nose. This does work my ENT is the one told me i needed to do this. You can buy the saline already made up also. Just cheaper to buy noniodinize salt and tap water. Believe me you will be suprized at what comes out sometimes
It's a Neti Pot and it absolutely works for getting rid of stuff in the back of your nose. Here's a link: http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/search/sea...tial%26Nr%3DOR{92%2COR{93}%2COR{90}%2COR{122}}%26searchType%3Dse archHome&x=0&y=0 I use the CVS brand for refills. Also, dairy products create phlegm, so staying away from dairy products (and chocolate) until she gets better will also help. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:29 PM

I like to use lemon juice in water.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:35 PM

If at all possible, try to get as "upside down" as you can. Maybe just lie on the bed with head and chest hanging over the end or side. Get gravity on your side.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
It's a Neti Pot and it absolutely works for getting rid of stuff in the back of your nose. Here's a link: http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/search/sea...tial%26Nr%3DOR{92%2COR{93}%2COR{90}%2COR{122}}%26searchType%3Dse archHome&x=0&y=0 I use the CVS brand for refills. Also, dairy products create phlegm, so staying away from dairy products (and chocolate) until she gets better will also help. Good luck!
OH MY "Gosh :oops: :oops: Well :lol: :lol: I was close anyways Neti instead of petti :lol:
Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sunflower126
Originally Posted by oatw13
The best thing I have found so far to get rid of phlegm is Mucinex. It is pricey, but it works! Walmart has a store brand but it just doesn't work as well.

Drink lots of liquids, including warm liquids, clear soups, and cut back on phlegm-causing foods, like dairy.

Best of luck.
Mucinex is the best. I keep a box in my medicine cabinet all of the time. When I feel it starting I take one and it is usually gone in a day or so. I buy mine at Sam's Club. I am sure that other membership stores will carry it too.
Mucinex is absolutely the best! We always keep some on hand...it is expensive, but so worth it!