Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Things you can do with salt >

Things you can do with salt

Things you can do with salt

Old 05-31-2015, 08:18 AM

Default Things you can do with salt

This is a link to a short video of things you can do with salt

http://www.redbookmag.com/home/news/...ks-using-salt/
Old 05-31-2015, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

If you have burnt on food and are using a non-stick but can't get the burnt food unstuck, you may as well throw that skillet away. Just warm up the skillet a little then wipe it out. The other one about the turpentine and salt to scrub the tub, I wouldn't even attempt since you have to open a window. I hit the tub with hot water and use a spray foam cleaner for bathtubs, let it sit for couple minutes then wipe the tub. It gets the rust. Rust will come off with any scrubber. It does for me.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:13 AM
Suz

Salt. I learned from Pinterest about using the following as a weed killer. Into a spray bottle put 1cup of salt, add white vinegar almost to the top, shake until salt dissolves, add a squirt of blue Dawn dish detergent, shake again.

I sprayed same onto a dandelion who stood proudly in the crack of my walkway. It was not a particularly hot day. When I checked it three hours later - no so proud!!! Could hardly believe it worked so quickly. And now we are using a second bottle. Yes, we do have weeds. Are we the only ones?
Old 06-01-2015, 04:40 AM

Since I don't click on links and would rather read threads from members, I will give this tip and am not sure if it is redundant with what is in the video: I cover a damp cutting board liberally with salt and let it sit for about 20 minutes, then wash with warm water.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
Salt. I learned from Pinterest about using the following as a weed killer. Into a spray bottle put 1cup of salt, add white vinegar almost to the top, shake until salt dissolves, add a squirt of blue Dawn dish detergent, shake again.

I sprayed same onto a dandelion who stood proudly in the crack of my walkway. It was not a particularly hot day. When I checked it three hours later - no so proud!!! Could hardly believe it worked so quickly. And now we are using a second bottle. Yes, we do have weeds. Are we the only ones?
So sad....wish the dandelion was not considered the enemy weed......actually they look quite nice dotting the green landscape.........and the leaf is good in salad...I hear dandelion wine isn't bad either....but yes, I must confess I too have been known to "kill"
Old 06-01-2015, 07:30 AM

I have some dandelions in my flower bed and they add a splash of color so I leave them. I have tried the wine made from the flower and it was terrible but I did make rose petal wine that was delicious. I also read that if you just pour boiling hot water on the weeds that kills them. Will have to try this out by the drive way. LOL MANY years ago when I was a little girl the lady next door use to call the dandelions P-in-the-beds. She said they smelled just like it. Of course she didn't just say the letter P
Old 06-01-2015, 07:36 AM

My Mom taught me that dandelions are God's gift to little boys. They can pick flowers for Mom with no stems and nobody cares at all. Wish I had a nickle for every dandelion bouquet my boys brought me.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 AM

I have daffodils planted in many of my flower beds. One day the son of our pastor at the time and was a college student, worked a part time job and loved to work in flower beds asked me what my yellow flowers were. Boy I was not quick enough cause I told him but should have told him they were dandelions!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 AM

There is also a story about God talking with an angel about us (his children) and what we do to his creation. He wanted to know what happened to the flowers he gave us. He was told we kill them, we then plant grass, we then cut the grass. we then take the cut grass and pay someone to take it away, we cut down trees. buy it and use it for mulch. We don't make much sense do we?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post

I saw that solution for weeds and gave it to my neighbor. One disclaimer---be very careful not to spray on things you want to keep alive, water nearby area well after killing weeds.