Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
thinking of buying ipad.....why??????? >

thinking of buying ipad.....why???????

thinking of buying ipad.....why???????

Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
rogueq - what is this sir mode you are talking about when taking pictures? I am very new to the i-pad world. Where's the blasted instruction book? LOL
sorry...slr - single lens reflex is a form of camera. i-pads don't do this. so i was quite surprised that my dslr (digital single lens reflex), which is very nice cam, took pictures that were so inferior to a those taken on my ipad. i am steadily gaining a great deal of respect for the level of technology & the widening variety of uses i am finding for this toy. they are costly, and i don't spend time in front of the tube, texting or watching videos on a smart phone. i am the antithesis of the good consumer. but the ipad that i rec'd as bd gift, that i was a little miffed at the costliness off...and which my beloved son tried to ward off my scolding w the facetime advantage and his concern that i be comfortable while indulging in one of my fav past times...reading on the web. the save photo fr web, emails etc...is wonderful! love it! my my second source if joyful discoveries...first of course was being four hours away from my grdaughters and getting to watch them as they ran around the yard, climbing trees..trampoline etc...whole time yelling "watch this gramma ham!!"

and the "instruction book" is on line, as more and more electronic items are now. was quite angry few years ago w a digital cam that came w instruction of how to turn on and off, change the batt and remove the card. and a link to the instruction book online! i haven't been to apple site yet to read the book for the ipad...just pushing buttons and playing w stuff in the settings area. lot of fun there. i had strange sounds for facetime announcement...door bell for email arrivals...had to turn it down as it gets mil upset amd the dogs barking lollol!

the more i "play" w my little ipad toy the more i learn. nxt project is video of recently rescued kitty wrestleing and playing w recently rescued german wirehaired pointer! they are absolutely hilarious. just need to remember to keep the ipad close at hand!

and i only have a couple of apps...because beloved son thought i needed them and, of course, the three apps that he wrote. and knowing i am such a poor excuse for a comsumer he also gave me a gift card for istore...which i have yet to use. i take thebipad to quilting w me to share photos of what i am working on at home, i open and save sites w tutes i have foun online - most recent different forms for d9p blocks. wenused the info displayed ro do small worshop on d9p which tje others weren't familiar with. another quilter pulled my ipad over to her saying"oh do you play... on here? i can't stop...it is so addicting" i said no,i haven't registered for the gaming links and haven't downloaded even freebies. i do this .....and opened pages and pages of quilts and quilt tute photos. next time in she brought her lap top and wanted me to show her how to load all her q photos to her ipad.

it is such a cool toy!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
rogueq - what is this sir mode you are talking about when taking pictures? I am very new to the i-pad world. Where's the blasted instruction book? LOL
Not sir, but slr - Single Lens Reflex.

Whoops - eta Rogue beat me!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have a desktop computer only. No laptop even. I've been debating buying an Ipad for Christmas. And if I do, do I buy the mini? Wouldn't I want a big one? Do I buy the Ipad 2 or 3? Do I get the 16 or 32 or 64? Do I get 3 or 4? I really don't understand what all of those do or mean. I know 3 is 3rd generation but what does that mean to me? And 16, 32, and 64 I think tells me how much space I have, right? Well, do I need a lot of space? I won't be playing games. I will do gmail, check The Quilting Board, watch YouTubes, read patterns and I don't know what else. I want new, not used. I probably want an Ipad 3, right? I have a Droid Razr, and I don't like little, so I think the Ipad Mini is out (price is part of the factor, size is the biggest factor). So, anyone have a suggestion for me? I pretty much don't know too much about computers. Just the basics. Any help for me? Please?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:16 PM

Jeanne, I am certainly no expert but I'll help you with the little that I know. I just bought mine a month ago. I got the I-pad 2 with 16 gb. You will want more gigs if you plan to load a bunch of movies onto it. I also have a kindle fire. I love it for reading books but I'm not crazy about the small screen for doing facebook. It's ok for email. I don't know how the I-pad mini compares in size to the fire but that should be easy enough to find out. I'm sure you will get a lot more help from others here.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have a desktop computer only. No laptop even. I've been debating buying an Ipad for Christmas. And if I do, do I buy the mini? Wouldn't I want a big one? Do I buy the Ipad 2 or 3? Do I get the 16 or 32 or 64? Do I get 3 or 4? I really don't understand what all of those do or mean. I know 3 is 3rd generation but what does that mean to me? And 16, 32, and 64 I think tells me how much space I have, right? Well, do I need a lot of space? I won't be playing games. I will do gmail, check The Quilting Board, watch YouTubes, read patterns and I don't know what else. I want new, not used. I probably want an Ipad 3, right? I have a Droid Razr, and I don't like little, so I think the Ipad Mini is out (price is part of the factor, size is the biggest factor). So, anyone have a suggestion for me? I pretty much don't know too much about computers. Just the basics. Any help for me? Please?
bits = capacity. ....fyi - i have the 16 ...600 photos on it and it is only 1/2 full. & gazillions of bookmarks and sites saved to "reader" function which i LOVE!!

3, 4 = issue or model. son got me the four because of the new photo technology. e.g-better color, redeye corrections etc. size adjustable when emailing photos.

i don't do games on mine but a friend does on hers...older generation..think she said 3. i use email, utube search photography plus photo editing, & facetime. oh...and chat.. i don't do site apps..why? lazy. why take time to wander the istore when all the q & news sites & blogs i visit have full functionality w/o the clutter on "desktop".

and if you are going to cruise websites..download or search for patterns, go shopping or anything useful...i would think you want the larger size. i saw the mini and thought ??why?? not that much bigger than phone screen. i am not worried about the size or wt. i am not in the habit of walking around carrying it. and i don't do books on line.

hope this info helps w your decision making process.

Last edited by roguequilter; 11-14-2012 at 06:01 AM.