Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Those Little Bra Hooks

Those Little Bra Hooks

When the bra gets washed, these things get bent. What could be doing this? Some are so bad on fairly new clothes that I am considering just sewing them. Should I un-hook them before washing?
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it. - Jonathan Winters

Blog Entries
    keep them hooked. my dh did a laundry last week and it was unhooked, went into the dryer that way and one of the three hooks is bent now,, when I wash them, I don't put bras in the dryer, they shrink and ruin the hooks. sometimes, I can fix them with a plyer, but this time, this hook was mangled out of shap, thank goodness I have 2 more good hooks. good luck
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I never have a problem with that, but I don't put them in the dryer. I would, as Lynnie said, keep them hooked.

I just bought some expensive ones and did not want to hand wash so sales clerk suggested a net bag.
    I leave hooks closed and no dryer.
    This works great.
    Gale

Blog Entries
    I ALWAYS use a mesh bra bag. I got it at WalMart in the same
    area where irons and such can be found. It is a round cylinder
    type bag with a zipper on each end.

BEST investment i ever made for washing my bras.

PLUS like others have said NO dryer.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

The little hooks get caught in the holes of the washer or dryer. They come unhung but the hooks are bent. Always hook them before washing. I don't dry my underwear in the dryer, I throw DH's in there though.
    I love my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    When the bra gets washed, these things get bent. What could be doing this?..........
    If you are letting them flop around in the washer the hooks are going to catch in other clothes and the like.
    Likewise, underwires can get bent with the washing and spinning and twisted in with the other items.

For washing ... instead of a lingerie bag .... just fold your bra with the cups with the right sides together and inside facing outwards. Position , the hooks in the centre. I've been doing this for sometime and have not had any damage to the hooks or the adjustment loops, wires, etc.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    I never have this problem, and I didn't even know to hook them before putting in the wash. However, I do use the mesh bra bags that Quilty-Louise mentioned. Got mine at Walmart too. They are round and have a zipper in each side. When using them, I do position the bra cups inside each other as QuiltE mentions. I use the same mesh bags for my daughter's panties (Victoria's Secret type). Also, I have a front load washer and make sure that the bras go into a small load of delicates. I can't imagine washing without mesh bags in a top loader with central agitator and a large load! I hang to dry, but occasionally miss one that goes through the dryer. Still no problems with bent hooks.

Blog Entries
    I put mine in a bag for delicates. not always hooked either. so far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    ...................For washing ... instead of a lingerie bag .... just fold your bra with the cups with the right sides together and inside facing outwards. Position , the hooks in the centre. I've been doing this for sometime and have not had any damage to the hooks or the adjustment loops, wires, etc.
    ........... Oh dear!!!! ... I went thru the explanation of how to fold it, and did not mention ..... wouldn't do any good to have it folded so, as it would soon come undone if not enclosed. So instead of the lingerie bag, put it into a nylon knee hi or panty-hose. Then tie a knot in the excess nylon to keep it there! Works just like the lingerie bag.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast