Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Those pesky unidentified pieces/parts - - - >

Those pesky unidentified pieces/parts - - -

Those pesky unidentified pieces/parts - - -

Old 10-17-2015, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

I keep them in part of a drawer, when I need something, I know I can use it.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:30 AM

Toss them in the "junk" drawer in the kitchen. What I tend to "save" tho are instructions for appliances, large or small that we no longer have.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:43 AM

I tend to do a lot of throwing out, I call it "chunking", esp when on a cleaning streak! However, I have regretted chunking some things, so now if I think the object will ever be needed again, I try to store it and all of it's components together, and label it!
Old 10-18-2015, 04:46 AM

I hate to throw anything out including screws,nails, etc. if in good shape. Just yesterday I needed to replace the flashing at the bottom of my rear garage as it gotten ripped off when they removed the old concrete slab. Seems the previous owner used very short screws and that's why it was so easy to pull away from the building. Anyway, went to my trusty dish I throw odds and ends screws and found longer ones to replace the shorter ones. And yes, I threw the shorter ones into the trusty dish for a future project.

As to sewing items, if I remove them myself I will throw them into the drawer next to the machine so I know it came from that particular machine cause I know the next time I open the drawer and wonder where it came from I'll know its something from that machine and not the other machines. Short term memory here so need all the help I can muster at times.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:14 AM

Most of the small parts I find are detritis from my husband or grandsons. I put everything into the "junk drawer," and can usually say, "Here it is," when asked if I know where the whatsis is. The drawer never empties, by the way.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:36 AM

My junk drawer has lots of stuff in it which I will never use, but every once in a while, I say: I know where that piece (screw, bolt, nut, etc.) is, it's in my junk drawer. I find it and the item is fixed. I fix everything that is fixable. LOL
Old 10-18-2015, 06:41 AM

*** I threw away a pair of keys once - didn't seem to fit anything in the house -
*** as soon as the garbage truck collected -
*** my brain computer kicked in -
*** they fit the file cabinet -
*** Had to fix the lock so it would not lock by accident.

Last edited by jbj137; 10-18-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:38 AM

I keep most everything like that too. In a junk drawer or in the garage in a can.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:41 AM

We have a rule here at our house. If you haven't seen it, or used it in 2 years. Toss it. If you decide later that you need it, you would not have known where to look for it anyway.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:39 PM

My father had tin cans, glass jars, boxes full of screw, nails, bolts, etc. Much too much to save so I picked out a few pieces and put them into a plastic box with dividers. The rest went to Habitat Restore or the recycle bin if items had rusted. Hubby says I have a problem because I selectively save spare pieces in plastic bags and label everything with a marker. It works for me when I want to find the long screws to reassemble the wood protective case for the a/c unit which is outdoors!

In a separate drawer, I have cords and chargers labelled for phones, photo frame, cameras. A large flat clip closure from purchase of bread is labelled and attached to the cords. (This also works nicely to ID items plugged in the wall outlet or electrical strip.) A separate box of mystery cords is keep nearby. Years ago I threw out a transformer needed for the portable carpet sweeper. It was an expensive error, so we ended up giving DIL the newly purchased battery and trashed the rest of the appliance.