Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
For those of you who have ceramic top cook ranges >

For those of you who have ceramic top cook ranges

For those of you who have ceramic top cook ranges

Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM

I have one now for about 2 years. My husband thought I had to have it. I don't think it heats up as well as a coil stove. I have to clean it after my husband sprays oil in a pan - can't get it thru his head not to over-spray the pan! I'd go back to a coil stove and stainless steel sink in a heart beat.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
I have had this stove in my last 2 houses. I use "Cook Top" a cleaning cream for smooth top ranges.
The real secret though is using a single edge razor blade stripper that people use to take decals and stuff
off of car windows. I put the Cook Top cleaner on and then take it off with the razor blade stripper. You
glide it across the cook top and it will clean off any burned on or spills that have cooked on and that don't
just wipe off with soap and water.
That's what I use. A single edge razor blade. Sometimes, soft scrub.
They really are very easy to clean.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM

I have two different stove top cleaners and the Magic Eraser works better. I haven't tried the razor blade scraper yet. I like the stove but it does need to be cleaned every time you use it. I like to be right there when I cook so I don't have to clean up boil overs.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I use Bar Keepers Friend cleanser. It does a great job. I would hesitate to use the scraper as, with a past stove, I notices some of the white spackle decoration wearing off with too much scrubbing with one of those green scrubbie sponges.
I also use Bar Keepers Friend cleanser and find that if I have a tough, stuck on bit of something, a paste of BKF and a scrubby sponge get the job done just fine. I have not had any issues with any thing coming off with the scrubby sponge, other than the goo. Then again, I have no spackle on mine... I guess it wouldn't hurt to test it on yours first!
Old 11-11-2011, 01:28 PM

LOVE my black glass top! I use the recommended cream cleaner with PAPER TOWELS and a hard plastic scraper "thingy" made for glass tops. You do have to wait for the cook top to completely cool to get the best clean & shine! The top of my stove shines - my old burners didn't shine.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I have a glass cook top and hate it. hard to keep clean to me. i must clean after every cooking but have to wait forever for it to cool off first. and had to buy all new skillets and pots to use on it. no aluminum at all!!! it can melt. didn't know that!!
Old 11-11-2011, 03:49 PM

I love mine! I clean it with a razor blade. One even came with the instruction manuel.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:14 PM

I am not thrilled with ours. The biggest trick is to clean it as soon as it cools. Julia does the cooking and she is not too neat and we had an awful mess. Magic Eraser worked wonders, but there are still marks on the top. So always give it a quick clean as soon as it cools and never cook on the top if there is anything still on it from a previous meal.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 PM

I use the Vileda sponges you can buy them at Walmart, they've got a coarse scratch pad on one side and a smooth side, it does not scratch the surface at all I use mine everyday for cleaning the surface. The coarse side you use for stuff that gets burnt on and it lifts it very easily. Other thing I use occasionally is the Mr Clean Magic Eraser it works well too, I can't handle any kind of harsh cleaning chemicals so this work very well for me.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Thank you so much. I had never heard of the razor blade thing and will give it a try. I also have BarKeepers Friend and will try that, hadn't thought of that one. You are right on making something to cover it, bad idea, I agree. LOL Thanks everyone.