Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Thread Catcher

This is a tutorial I got to make some thread catchers. I am going to use my mom's old hose from her oxygen to make those rims.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My co-worker made me one. I Love it.
    I use it to actually hold my seam ripper, hemostat, marking pens, and other supplies instead of as a thread catcher.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    they quit making them like this a couple of years back because the tiles can easily get broken!

It is better to use a bag of sand or walnut shells and make that a pin cushion area.
    I will try to get a pix of mine to show you...it has a muslin bag filled with sand inside of a ziploc that is duct taped all around then wrapped in batting and puffed on top with more batting to make it a pincushion.
    I love it and make them for all family, friends, etc.

You can buy the plastic tubing at the hardware store.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Thank you! I was wanting to make some of these.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    whatever you do, do NOT stuff it with kitty litter...I had a friend who did that thinking it would be just as good as sand...WRONG..it absorb moisture..heheh
    what a mess that thing became..luckily fabric is forgiving and she could unsew it and make a SAND bag for it..I still laugh about that...shame on me..

I have been wanting to make one of these

After breaking my tile in the first one I made I went to the hardware and bought some 4 inch washers to use as weight it is wrapped with scrap batting and slides out for laundry.Then I had a problem getting tubing so once again went to the local hardware and they gave me tons of the nylon strapping that is used on heavy boxes that shipments come in! I love the lace on this tute and will use some on my next one. Thanks for the tute.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
    After breaking my tile in the first one I made I went to the hardware and bought some 4 inch washers to use as weight it is wrapped with scrap batting and slides out for laundry.Then I had a problem getting tubing so once again went to the local hardware and they gave me tons of the nylon strapping that is used on heavy boxes that shipments come in! I love the lace on this tute and will use some on my next one. Thanks for the tute.
    I used some of that strapping in my first one and found it flimsy, did you double it up...I have also used boning that I found at the thrift shop, that worked great!

Blog Entries
    Go to the thrift store and get the underwire from a big size bra. I works great for the rim.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Go to the thrift store and get the underwire from a big size bra. I works great for the rim.
    as a big busted gal, I must say that these bras are really costly...not sure I could buy one just to cut out the wire...but I am sure it would give the catcher SUPPORT..hehehe
    just had to say it... :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast