Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread Trimmer

Blog Entries

Thread Trimmer

I was at a show a couple of months ago where one of the demonstrators talked up this wonderful electric seam ripper gadget she had. I looked it up on line and found out that her gadget was a small beard trimmer, which confused the heck out of me. I told my husband about it. A couple of days ago he handed my his beard trimmer and asked if it would work. It seems that you still need a seam ripper for the first inch or so to get things started, but that beard trimmer really scoots. Now we have to fight over who gets it!
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

Blog Entries
    I use an exacto knife if I need to speed the process. I just make sure I have my glasses on.

The embroiderers use such a trimmer....the little Peggy. Groomers have used them for years - it's a #60 blade. If you want one, they are much cheaper in grooming catalogs, however, I have also seen them at TJ Maxx.

...I prefer and exacto knife blade (no handle) myself!

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    I use an exacto knife if I need to speed the process. I just make sure I have my glasses on.
    Using the glasses is must for me, too.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    I love my surgical scalpel! DH grabs one side of the fabric to provide a little tension..and "zip" it's done. Other quilters cringe when they watch: I've not made any holes....yet!
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    I love my surgical scalpel! DH grabs one side of the fabric to provide a little tension..and "zip" it's done. Other quilters cringe when they watch: I've not made any holes....yet!
    I have a surgical scalpel too, and have a (I think it's called "a third hand") that clamps to the table edge and a clip for the fabric, and "zip" it's done

The beard trimmer idea has been around for years, even before the "seam ripper" was marketed and they are cheaper.

I have one that I love. It works so fast compared to the seam ripper for the longer seams. I tried the straight blades and just not my thing.

The same company makes the beard trimmer and the electric seam ripper, and they're the same, as far as I can tell. I happened to have the exact same thing that was sold for use on pets. It is the slickest thing for unstitching straight seams! You have to oil it before use, so be sure that the oil will wash out of you fabric. I have not had any problems so far.
    We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.
    ~ Charles Kingsley

Blog Entries
    I think it is Ricky timms who says if you rip out a straight seam fast enough you won't tear the fabric. I do it whenever I've made a strip set wrong or i don't like the border. I only use this technique on long pieces. It's strangely exhilarating! Lol !
    Last edited by nancia; 09-02-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast