to throw away or not

Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 PM

I agree everything has a place and should be in its place. Except for the sewing room. I do know where most things are. But I have a wonderful DH who really gets into cleaning things up and out. He has learned over the last 30+ years not to touch my things. Very smart man. LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 08:06 PM

Right after we got married 30 years ago, my husband's grandmother died, she was 83 at the time.
I was the only one interested in her craft type things, including her quilts! but that woman and I would have been good friends. She left, way back in the corners of her basement, a scrapbook in which she had things that were important to her in her life. Her first marriage papers and photos, and among other things, the valentines SHE got as a kid. Newspaper clippings from her childhood, and an old handkerchief with no story so we can only guess its importance.
Personally, I think she kept them for those who came after her, and I am honored to continue to keep them
Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Oh how we all love to save (collect)things. We are in the process of downsizing, and now the question is what to do with the old china and crystal (1940) also have new china and crystal an don't want to keep them either. I have boxes in the basement that have been there for two years since our last move. Plan on having a garage sale next May so have all winter to get ready.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 PM

Hey I just thought of a bright side to not haveing closets all these years!!!!!!None to have to go through!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 PM

I have thought about this, I am 71. I am going ask my children to tell me if there is anything they really want, then I will be free to get rid of everything else. I know there are somethings that mean a lot to me but don't mean a hill of beans to them. I am all for simplifying and lightening my load.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Google Goddess

so happy for you and all of the others, great way to get rid of things and give to others

last year I cleaned out my closet and took clothes, purses, etc. to a local nursing home right before Christmas,

the office manager of the nursing home thanked me and also sent me a thank you card in mail

she wished that more people would think of giving things to the ones in the nursing home

she was so happy and was going to wrap them up for Christmas gifts

Karen, Craftybear

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
I have spent the last year going through my basement.... which had become a "catch all" for the past 7 years. Yes that's right.... 7 years of off loading anything and everything to the basement. I am a very organized person... and little did I know how this mess was tearing me up on the inside.

I have went through every box, tote, bag, corner and crevice. Many times.... when I began to get that overwhelming feeling.. I just had to walk away. I kept telling myself... a little at a time. This box today.... tomorrow another box. Additionally, my kids have conveniently deposited many of their things to be stored in Mom's basement... lol.

I am very happy to say that it is very, very close to being complete. I never dreamed that it would take me one year!!! Holy smokes. But I just kept trudging along... a little at a time. I work full time and could not devote full days to the task. And... I did not beat myself up over taking soooooo long.

It is so worth it. Everything has a place... and everything is in its place. It is a happy place now and not a place of dread.

For anyone else that may be facing a daunting task like this.... I encourage you to take the first step.... go thru one box. Be prepared to let stuff go.... have a "throw away" pile.... "give away".... maybe "yard sale" pile. It is so liberating.

Happy decluttering!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 AM

I moved over seas in 1991 then 5 times since then in Europe, most of what I have left the kids would kill me for getting rid of. We're to move to the states in a few years... They get to pay the freight for whatever they want me to tote over that is over and above "our needs." Thought that would discourage them, but no, it appears the eventual pack-up will not be as small as I hoped. :thumbup:
Old 08-22-2011, 01:10 AM

When we moved to Alaska from Oregon 8 years ago, we went through everything in our house and garage. Large garage sale and donated the rest to a church group. The stuff we packed got put in storage "for when we get a house".
Well, we bought a house....tiny house, just one third the size of our house we left behind. So most of the stuff is still in boxes in the shed out back.
Hubby keeps saying we should go through it and only keep what we want. I said that was the stuff we wanted to keep when we went through it before!! haha
Old 08-22-2011, 01:11 AM

I work in a homeless shelter and we give away clothes and food 5 days a week. Thank heaven for the people who donate them. There are so many people out there who have next to nothing. Children's clothing is especially needed, they grow so fast and it's very hard for people who have barely enough to pay the rent to keep up with keeping them in clothes and shoes. I feel so sorry for the pregnant mothers that come in hoping for stuff for their babies.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingme
What do you do with old photographs? I have a storage chest full, and I know my sons would not want them, but I cannot bring myself to throw them out. Lots of memories there!
I scanned all my family pictures into the computer and then burned them to CD(now I would burn them to flash drives) and gave a copy to my siblings. Then, lucky me, I gave the albums and pictures back to my brother who had been custodian of them for years. No more paper in the house-on this project anyways. :-)
I still have plenty to de-clutter though. :(