to throw away or not

Old 05-15-2012, 03:17 PM

I just went through and cleaned out out the house. I took out 15 bags of stuff for the local resale shop. It's so nice to not have the clutter in the house again. It eats at me and makes me crabby. I'm so glad I did it.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 PM

We had a flood that destroyed the floors in our house and forced us to pack everything up and store our furniture in a shed in our driveway for nearly 2 months. When everything was brought back in an we started unpacking, we realized it was time to get rid of some things. We got new floors and a huge reduction in clutter and stuff! Now the garage - that's another matter!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

"Clutter's Last Stand" by Don Aslett is a wonderful book - I've bought several copies and distributed them!

He's an entertaining writer - and gives 'permission' - and logical reasons - for getting rid of clutter.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by sall View Post
I spoke to my cousin a few days ago, who has had the decorators in. She started doing a bit of clearing out, and found she still had her 21st birthday cards (she is 70). When her daughter called, the question she asked was (qoute) "If I dropped dead tomorrow what would you do with all these cards and things" reply from her daughter. " I would just throw them all out". I suddenly realised that I still had my 21st cards and loads of other cards such as invitations, thank you cards etc and realised that my children would do exactly the same. Looking at my 21st cards ( I am 75) I cannot remember who some of the people were. Well this then started me on a clear it all out spree, and I cannot believe the junk I have kept over the years. I have one spare single bed, and would you belive, I have 4 duvets for that one bed, and six covers for the duvet, and I might add that the bed is only used occasionally.The charity shop is due for a car load of goods from me next week.
Are we all like this, or are many of you more organised. I must add that I am exhausted after bit all.
Here's the flip side of that. My Mother died 20 years ago. After she died, my Dad got demntia. He lived in KS (I'm in WI) so I had no idea what all was going on. What was going on was that he was "disposing" of all my memories... stuff of my Mother's that I really would have liked to have had, things of mine from my childhood, things from my own children's childhood... it's all gone. Antique furniture, photographs, quilts, jewelry, clothes, knick knacks... it's all gone. And I'm beyond sad about it, So before you do your cleaning, ask around & see if anybody wants those things. I'd LOVE tgo have had my Mother's 21st BD cards.