Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to get an e-reader?

Time to get an e-reader?

Apparently, now, libraries are having trouble with bedbugs hitching rides in the bindings of books.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/ga...anted=all&_r=0

Is there no end of things to worry about?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have seen both bed bugs and roaches come back to the library in books when I worked there. Yuck! We had a few people that we knew were a problem. When they returned books, we politely accepted them. As soon as they left we zipped the books into giant zip lock bags for a few days to see if any creepies came out before shelving them.

Wow! I never thought of that!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I saw that on my news the other night. Kind of creepy because the little buggers are so small and can infest your house before you discover them. So I say, yes, yes, get an e-reader! You won't have to worry about that problem anymore.

I might add that I'm a bit biased as I have six books available for e-readers. LOL

Years ago my daughter said she didn't like library books because they were germy & touched by so many others. I laughed at her as I was an avid library goer. Looks like she was right! I have an iPad & now download books from my local library. Still a patron, but I hardly ever go there in person anymore.

I'll stick with books from the library. However, I will probably check with my librarian about the bugs and will put them in a plastic bag for a day or two to see if anything crawls out.

Blog Entries
    Getting rid of bedbugs is very expensive. And all it takes is one little bug and you are infested in no time. Yuk!

I started with the basic first Kindle and never looked back. I'm now using the Kindle Fire. I watch quilt shows, read quilt magazines, store quilt patterns, watch movies, tv, and of course read books.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    this is terrible. I wouldn't be surprised about roaches because they love paper but never thought about bedbugs. Makes me even happier that I have my Nook color.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Years ago my Husband worked on the 17th floor of a bldg in Houston, Tx. and they had to keep their stamps in a metal container to keep the roaches from eating the stamps. UGH!

Love books and my love my e-reader but not the bugs. Did not know about the plastic bag trick but may try that when I buy garage sale books before they come in the house, just in case. PS I also download lots of free library audio books to my Mp3 and listen to them as I sew. Gotta love the technology.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast