Tip when mailing packages

Old 12-03-2013, 04:43 PM

Default Tip when mailing packages

This is the time of year when packages are coming and going! One tip I learned when mailing is to be sure to include an address on the inside of packages. If the label comes off or the package gets mangled, it's an extra layer of insurance to help it reach its destination. It could be an extra mailing label, a business card or a note in an envelope.

Just wanted to share. :-)
Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the tip -- it is a good one.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:44 PM

I always do that just to be sure. Thanks for reminding everyone.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Great tip. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:55 PM

Good tip! One more point about this - securely tape the address to either the inside of the box or to the item you are mailing. If a box pops open and the address is loose in the box, then it will fly away.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

It's also a good idea not to tape the address on the outside of the box over the seam. It's better to tape it to a solid piece of cardboard so, even if the top pops open, the address is intact.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 PM

My tried and true packaging system -

Item in appropriate sized box with padding as needed. If it can spill at all or is fragile - wrap in paper towels, fabric scraps or similar, seal in a Ziploc, wrap in bubble wrap, put in a large Ziploc, then pad box. Less likely to break, but also won't make a terrifying mess if something does break.

Box bottom - over seam, overlap two pieces at least per seam side. You want at least half the bottom covered. Works far better than trying to tape "ends.

Put your boxed item in a bigger box. Add packing material as needed.

For very delicate items - egg crate mattress pad. Cut to line the box. Also, if small enough, cut styrofoam box in half, dig out inside to nest item in, tape around cut seam, then around and over the block.

Glue or tape address on inside and outside of both boxes. All should have water resistant covering of some sort.

Do not prewrap presents. Include the material, but wrapping may not get through scanning intact.

Seal the top same as the bottom.

New, unmarked boxes are sturdier and less likely to get too lost in the mayhem known as Christmas shipping. Outside of heavy shipping times, a sturdy, clean box with minimal writing that's fully blacked out or covered is good enough.

Insurance and required signature aren't always needed, but now is when things get lost due to high volume and thief goes up due to high number of packages.

If you are shipping international - be very aware of any custom issues. Kinder eggs may be delightful, but the potential fine per is $2,500USD and you don't get the egg. Various chemicals may be legal shipping between states, but not across borders.

USPS remains the most reliable for normal shipping, for next day or second day, Fedex wins, but you will pay for the service. At my work, standard is $10, second day is $20, next day is $55, and next day 10am is $105 - all are to start, NDA and NDA10 frequently go over that.

I worked in packaging far too long, in case you can't tell. But, I've frequently shipped international for personal mail and never had a lost package. Slow, yes. Damaged packages, yes. But, it's always gotten there.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

I had to look up Kinder Eggs to find out what they are and why the fine is so big! Here's an article that may help those who, like me, had never heard of them:
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-kinder-e...18.html?cat=22
Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 PM

Sorry, I forgot to explain Kinder Eggs. I lived in Europe junior year of high school (15-16), then snuck my must haves in my car, went to HS graduation, left from that to the airport to fly back (17) and didn't move back to the US until I was 31.

I live on their deliciousness when I do concert festivals. They are nothing like US mass produced chocolate.

Sigh. If not for wanting to stay close to my brother, his sweetest fiancée and her little boy at the same time my employer offered me a transfer in the same city for better pay, lower cost of living - I'd have probably never left.

But, I'll take my nephew over yummy chocolate any day.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 AM

Also do this with luggage when traveling.