Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tornado season begins again in Oklahoma >

Tornado season begins again in Oklahoma

Tornado season begins again in Oklahoma

Old 04-01-2016, 05:05 AM

We just moved to Granite, OK in December. I lay in bed at night and listen to the wind. I don't want to end up in "OZ"! The rental house we are in doesn't have a shelter but the home we purchased does. I can't wait until the renovations are done so we can move in.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:09 AM

I've been thinking of relocated somewhere...pipe dream.....and so far I see Nevada as having the least amount of natural disasters....thoughts?
Old 04-01-2016, 06:27 AM

I was born in an area that has tornados come through each year. I moved to Idaho and one day I told my boss that I believed a tornado went through based on my prior knowledge. He laughed and said that didn't happen. Later on the news we found out that a small tornado did come through. I know that all of us who live with danger can see the warning signs and take cover. We are camping in our pull trailer in north Texas headed for Tulsa. I am keeping my eyes open as we drive.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:39 AM

Chances are pretty good for Both Ok and Kansas to have either a tornado or an earthquake it seems.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:55 AM

Sending out my thoughts too, to those in the path of weather destruction. Hoping for a peaceful season, but it doesn't look too likely, does it!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:47 AM

We had some pretty strong damaging winds and rain here in Arkansas yesterday afternoon. Scary. I hate sitting up watching the weather reports on TV so we'll know when to run for storm shelter.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:43 PM

Watching the national news tonight and seeing the floods and high winds in the south just made me sick. I feel so bad for everyone grappling with natural disasters. I'm a Red Cross volunteer but am unable to go on disaster relief teams due to my dang knees--the long days and intense conditions don't work as I need to have a legs up "rest" every few hours. So frustrating! So much need out there and it's both the immediate help and also the long term help those folks will be needing.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I've been thinking of relocated somewhere...pipe dream.....and so far I see Nevada as having the least amount of natural disasters....thoughts?
We live in southern New Mexico for the same reason. My DH says it is "Pre-disastered!"
Old 04-02-2016, 07:47 AM

I have a brother who lives in Tulsa, he hasn't called nor have any of my siblings. In our family if a disaster strikes and you don't hear from them everything is well.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:50 AM

Tornadoes are a fierce thing. Only GOD has control. I've been blessed as I lived through several one night that Hurricane Fran came through the tip of Moore County North Carolina, which is in the center of the state...we had according to the Forrestry Service about 6 Tornadoes to touch ground here in and around my new doublewide home (5 days sitting here on my property). Pine trees brushed and fell on the edge of my home; however, it was spared due to my car being total lost, and my daughter's pick-up receiving damage. I lost about 100 trees, and it took over a year and about 6 or 8 men to come and look before a single one would say they would remove the trees because of such destruction. Then they each said you could smell snakes...it was infested with snakes. I was without power for 3 + weeks. Yet, the news did not proclaim we had any damage here in Moore County. My daughter had just moved in with me, bringing her new born son, and she was so scared I thought she was going to run out of the house in the middle of this thing and leave her son. I told her no she wasn't, she had a son in the crib in there in the bedroom, and she had to protect him; and if you do go out now, you will be killed. Finally I went and stood by my bed, praying LORD, YOU told me, you would NEVER leave me nor forsake me, now stay with me and help me bear this storm. All at once the winds calmed, heaviness came over us all, and we fell asleep. But before going sound asleep I hear the wind go to the other side of the house and on up the road, and leave. The next morning, my brother came about 10:00 AM waking us up...scared to death we were dead. He said he had not ever seen such devastation. He just lives canter-cornered in the woods back of me, and was not nearly damaged as I was. We lived. We THANKED GOD.