Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tradition

Power Poster

Tradition

I have my turkey in the oven and I was wondering, does anyone else put the neck and giblets from the turkey in a saucepan to simmer on top of the stove? My mother always did this to add colour and extra flavor to the gravy. I have always followed her example and it works well.
    About an hour before the main course my Dad would always sit down and eat the turkey neck because he couldn't wait any longer. My mom would get exasperated but wonderful memories now that he is gone.

Yes my mom always did this and so do I.

Blog Entries
    Have always made gravy with the neck, heart, liver. Mom used to call it giblet gravy. She'd cook up a broth from it and save for later (freeze it) for turkey and noodles. I sometimes put in small freezer containers (Ziploc bags) and use for soups also. They make quick soups! Holiday dinners are very much a money saving deal.

I do that also and make gravy with the juice and add drippings from the turkey. I make cornbread dressing. My Mom always used bread and it was soggy. Mine is dryer and better flavor. I never ate hers but love mine.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    i have to make two batches of gravy... to me, it's not the same without giblets, but my daughter's family does not like it that way.
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    I put the neck and giblets in a sauce pan with chopped celery,onion,a little carrot. I simmer,then strain,then use with pan drippings. My family likes lots of gravy.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Blog Entries
    Yep, me too. any part of the turkey that doesn't go in the roast pan, less-than-perfect veggie bits I've saved in my freezer and some sage, etc. Tons of gravy needed here, too!

Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    I put the neck and giblets in a sauce pan with chopped celery,onion,a little carrot. I simmer,then strain,then use with pan drippings. My family likes lots of gravy.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I have never mastered the art of making gravy, but I still cook the neck and giblets and feed it to the dog. Happy Thanksgiving for him, too.

Blog Entries
    I do the simmering too. I add a little of the dressing to the broth to add more flavor to the gravy. The first things my grandmother taught me to make were gravy and cornbread. She said I could get by knowing how to make these two things perfectly.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I learned to make Giblet Gravy by boiling neck and giblets, strip meat from neck, chop all giblets, thicken with smooth flour blend, then add chopped boiled egg. Sometimes I have to add extra broth to make enough for my bunch. Then use the rest of drippings from turkey for cornbread dressing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast