Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Traditional Easter Dinner or something else? >

Traditional Easter Dinner or something else?

Traditional Easter Dinner or something else?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 PM

Main Holidays (Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, or Thanksgiving) are usually the same menu, except the potatoes change and Thanksgiving has ham and turkey.
Baked glazed ham with pineapple, cheesy hashbrowns or scalloped potatoes, candied carrots and escalloped corn, snicker salad, glorified rice or acini di pepe pasta salad, pistachio bread or pumpkin bread, rolls with real butter, pies depending on the holiday and sugar cookies decorated for the holiday.
Always a big group of us, no shortage of food here!!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:19 AM

My mom is Polish and our tradition is Easter Breakfast. Hard boiled eggs, kielbasa, ham, home fries, fruit salad and lots of home-made horse radish. She also makes a traditional Easter bread called chasta, it's yellow from lots of eggs and full of golden raisins it's soooo good. After breakfast we have some sort cake, coffee and chat. I lay around all afternoon and watch Ben Hur digesting it all.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 AM

DH wants grilled ham steaks. Works for me, so that's what I got and will put them on the grill out back; less mess to clean up. We'll have baked sweet potatoes and broccoli slaw to round out dinner. More of a barbeque than Easter dinner, but what he asked for. Easy peasy! Have a wonderful Easter, everyone!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 PM

Going out to restaurant, today I plan to have duck, when I get there and hear the specials I may change my mind.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM

We are usually very traditional, but this year...NOT! We had pizza! Let me explain. My first child, daughter, is getting married this summer. Her shower was Saturday morning, so we were all very tired and didn't want to prepare another meal Saturday evening for the family, so we had pizza. It was a big hit!! I think we will be more traditional next year, though!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 PM

No you are not- we always have lamb! I never heard of ham for Easter!

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I guess I am the only one having roast lamb -- a nod to the sacrificial lamb, reason for the season -- with my mother who will be preparing some traditional Passover foods, as she celebrates Easter as a Messianic Jew.

We do Turkey at Thanksgiving, ham and beef tenderloin for Christmas, lamb for Easter, ribs on July 4th.

Along that line, how did ham become "traditional" for Easter?

Jan in VA
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 PM

I enjoyed reading all of these. Last Monday I made 17 Biblical costumes, on Saturday morning I made 4 more. Saturday evening dd and I were in an Easter drama at church. Sunday morning was Easter service and then we had about 3 hours before the second presentation of the drama. We had one of those super sub sandwiches from Walmart for Easter dinner. I was too tired to do much of anything but cut up the sub, eat, take a quick nap then get ready to back to church. The drama was wonderful btw.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:34 AM

Our youngest son, 34, went to church with us. He was baptized in a horse trough! It's a Cowboy Church. I just cried and cried; I was so happy. We went home and ate left-overs.
Best meal ever.

Last edited by TanyaL; 04-10-2012 at 05:37 AM.