Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Treasures Hidden in Plain Sight!! >

Treasures Hidden in Plain Sight!!

Treasures Hidden in Plain Sight!!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 AM

Default Treasures Hidden in Plain Sight!!

About 2 years ago, at a flea market in Claire, Michigan, I bought a Singer serger. It was an older one, but was assured it worked. His "aunt" had used it right up until her departure from this world. $8. Yep, $8. I'm ashamed to say, I talked him down from $10. Hey, it was a flea market and I really didn't know if it worked. Anyway, it has been sitting on a shelf for nearly 2 years. I bought the thread for it sometime between then and now. When we moved into the new house 4 months ago, it went back on a shelf. Then 3 or so weeks ago, I was sorting through my manuals and found the one for the serger. So I got it off the shelf and set it on a table in my sewing area. The cord, footpedal and other stuff was in a zipper bag and apparently was in storage. It took me a few days to get over there to pick it up, but I finally did. Got it all hooked up and ready to try it out. Where did the book go? Well, needless to say, I got sidetracked and there it sat for another week. Then, as I was cleaning up from the project I had been working on for several weeks, there was the book. LONG story short. Last Friday night I dove in with both feet. Well, both hands anyway. Cleaned and oiled first. Then, at least an hour later, I finally had it threaded. I'm thinking, the first time the thread breaks, I am DONE! Did you know you need tweezers to thread one of these things? now. I AM IN LOVE. This machine has been used regularly since it was set up. I can't believe I let it set on a shelf for nearly 2 years. It works like a charm!! Now, all I have to do is figure out what I did with the baggie, as it has all the extra attachments in it. LOL I really am not usually that bad. For some reason, this machine just gave me fits!! (Probly mad at me for waiting so long). LOL
Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Way to go! I love when old becomes new again
Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM

Oh Wow, I am so glad to got betsy going.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the post! I've been wanting to get a serger for making doll clothing but don't want to put out big bucks for one...maybe I'll look on Craigslist!

Diannia
Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 AM

The first few times threading is difficult but eventually you will get the knack of it. Remember, when you want to change thread colors, cut the old color at the spool and tie the new color on (use a square knot) and just serge until the new color is through all the loops and hooks - that way you won't have to re-thread it to change colors. I LOVE my serger! Enjoy yours.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 AM

Sounds like that serger is there to stay..so glad you are enjoying it at long last!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on having fun with your serger! Great story too! Now I need to find the manual to mine.......hmmmmmm.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:45 PM

You ha.ve inspired me to get out my old serger. Thanks--and keep enjoying your new ba by
Old 12-21-2012, 03:06 PM

They are wonderful for hemming men's pants or womens pants or skirts. I have an Elna and the tweezers too. I don't think I have extra feet tho. When I change thread I have to watch the needle, it doesn't want to go thru the hole.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:56 PM

I have a serger that I HAD to buy when I made a jacket from jeans, and thought I would be making more...I haven't used it since...I will have to think about if I am going to ever use it again, or if I should think of selling it...seems a shame to keep it if I am not going to use it...I mostly just sew quilts and don't need a serger for those...but...I hang on to it...just in case...maybe I will want to make another jeans jacket someday...or something else that could use a serger.