Tree Skirt Pattern

Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000 View Post
Blue and white covers Hannakah, Red and green are traditional Christmas. The cross for Christians. Do an outline of the sitting Buddha, do these in appliqué would be easiest. I have never seen an icon for Hinduism. Check on the intèrnet. Good luck on your project.
Originally Posted by welshgirl View Post
HI, funnily enough I have just bought a book called Symbols of Faith by Linda Causee, ISBN 1-59012-022-1. It has 44 patterns for paper piecing in and ranges from, Noah's Ark, Star of David, baby Jesus in a crib to Pascal Lamb andcrescent and star, eye of Horus etc. Hope this of help but maybe not this year unless you are a super fast sewer. Good Luck
Thank you so very much! I chose blue and white primarily for the Judaism connection, but also since that they are also the school colors. And the book I'll check out, if it's available in the library. I'm also looking around on line. Thank you so very much!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 AM

As long as no pictures of anykind get sent anywhere, go on any student's facebook, are mentioned on Twitter, etc. there probable won't be any publicity. I wasn't even thinking of students when I mentioned a devout believer. Students usually can't afford lawyers, and as long as a ptotest was in the law courts at least it would't be radical- no guns or anything like many campuses have to deal with.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 AM

I am editing my post because my comments were off-topic. You asked for patterns and not for opinions regarding your choice. I made a comment addressing criticisms made about your choice and after giving it some thought feel it was not appropriate because it is not germane to your original request. In light of how swiftly threads that even TOUCH on religious issues get out of hand and snarky, I am choosing to edit my post accordingly.

With regard to your original request, I wish I had patterns to help, but all I can offer is support.

PS. I would love to see a picture of the finished tree skirt!

Last edited by Mad Mimm; 11-22-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
As long as no pictures of anykind get sent anywhere, go on any student's facebook, are mentioned on Twitter, etc. there probable won't be any publicity. I wasn't even thinking of students when I mentioned a devout believer. Students usually can't afford lawyers, and as long as a ptotest was in the law courts at least it would't be radical- no guns or anything like many campuses have to deal with.
The only ones who are caring are those of us who are putting it up (the tree went up yesterday, and we are doing the rest next week). But I understand what you mean. Like I said, we have a very open minded campus. We had a hate crime back in October, some one wrote something in a bathroom stall... the school took immediate action to locate them, investigate and charge them with a felony. It wasn't huge to make the news. But that is getting completely off topic.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
I am editing my post because my comments were off-topic. You asked for patterns and not for opinions regarding your choice. I made a comment addressing criticisms made about your choice and after giving it some thought feel it was not appropriate because it is not germane to your original request. In light of how swiftly threads that even TOUCH on religious issues get out of hand and snarky, I am choosing to edit my post accordingly.

With regard to your original request, I wish I had patterns to help, but all I can offer is support.

PS. I would love to see a picture of the finished tree skirt!
It's okay! I'm over it. I know what you mean though. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, whether or not we agree with them. It's a part of life and how the world seems to work. So no hard feelings. I did overreact too, so I'm also at fault.

Also, I will take pictures when it is done.

OH! Sorry for the double post! I didn't mean to do so.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 AM

You might also spend the time on google or at the school library, researching with keywords including the name of the religion and the world symbol. Good luck. you still have time to get it done!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 AM

I say go for it!!

This time of year is not about political correctness. It's about caring for and loving friends and family.

No matter what anyone does nowadays, someone will be offended.

I personally think it's a fantastic idea.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Hi, did you find what you need? I have the Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols that has each religion you requested in it and what their various symbols mean. I could probably scan it and send it to your email. Let me know if you still need something!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:27 PM

I just googled and found several symbols for you. Here is the site: http://www.makesplash.com/

You have to go down quite a bit and look for a post called "Loosing my religion." Despite the use of the wrong word, it is illustrated by a nice little graphic, with 9 or 10 other religions and a couple of symbols of both Judaism and Christianity. This sort of reminds me of one year when I was in a newsroom and decided to do a small tree. There were several Jewish reporters concerned, so we compromised. The vast majority of the ornaments were small photos of section pages in the newspaper over the previous year. We also added a few dreidels and gold coins to balance out the red and green. It was a popular tree and lots of the ornaments got taken as souvenirs before the holiday ended.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:29 AM

I have read about your school and it seemed like a breath of fresh air. Now, with this thread, there is at least one student who has embraced this philosophy. Be patient, please. You are in the forefront of a growing change needed in this world. Being inclusive is so much more positive. Good luck with your project. Thank you.