trip to New England

Old 09-09-2015, 06:37 AM

Default trip to New England

Hello New Englanders: I'll be visiting with a friend next month. (I have lived in Texas for over 30 years). I've been many times (grew up in Massachusetts, parents retired to Maine), but the friend I'm traveling with has never been. I want her to have a wonderful time, and experience all that fall in New England has to offer. We're flying into Portland, and will spend a day with a friend we used to work with. She will take us to some light houses. Friend wants to visit Basketville in Putney, and I suggested the little train ride in North Conway, NH, the bridge of flowers in Shelburne Falls in MA, also maybe a trip to Salem. I know there are plenty of sites on line that will give us ideas, but if there are places off the beaten path that you think are visit worthy, I'd love to hear about them. I want to stay off the main highways as much as possible, and go through all the little towns. Thanks in advance for the help. BTW, she is NOT a quilter, so visits to fabric shops is out.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:18 AM

Be careful. I live in NY and drove to Maine Columbus Day weekend-not thinking! The traffic was horrendous, all the people looking at the leaves. I had reservations for one night but not the next. There was no place to stay. We ended up driving back to NY. October is prime time to travel through New England. Get your reservations early.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:34 AM

As you want back roads and you have a large, circuitous route I just mapped out the basics of the places you listed.
The Kancamagus Highway in NH is very picturesque but will be very busy in Oct especially on weekends. But, using your list here is a possible route for you: Portland to Conway, NH-60 miles;1 hr, 32 min; Conway to Lincoln, NH-36 miles; 54 min; Lincoln to Putney, VT- 114 miles; 2 hrs, 7 min; Putney-Shelburne Falls, MA-40 miles; 43 min. You would be about 1 1/2 hrs from Sturbridge Village if that interests you.
You don't say how long your visit will be but you have picked an arduous journey especially if you have limited time. Also, the back roads can be picturesque but will be slower than a highway(part of the outlined trip above is on a highway).
You need to decide and arrange housing NOW as northern New England is very crowded in Oct. By the way, from Shelburne Falls its over 2 hrs to Logan Airport or T.F. Green in Providence, RI. If you can leave out of Hartford, CT that is over an hour from Shelburne Falls.
Good luck with your arrangements have a wonderful trip.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Going to Salem Mass. and being that close, I would make extra effort to visit Plymouth Plantation--I've been twice and you can spend hours learning how the Pilgrims lived. Also, Sturbridge Village was mentioned as a possible---yes, by all means visit this site. The Pilgrim village has ''in costume-in character'' , and Sturbridge also. I really enjoyed both, but I'm a sucker for the ''in character'' sites.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:59 PM

Miss Barb, Lowell Massachusetts has an old factory that has set up in the textile era a quilting museum and many things equated with quilting called national quilt museum might be worth the trip . enjoy your time in New England I moved from there 5 years ago and I miss it terribly .
Old 09-13-2015, 04:44 PM

You might want to see Quechee Gorge, the "Grand Canyon of Vermont". Right on Route 4.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:25 PM

So many places, so little time. If you go to Shelbourn Falls, be sure you check out the glacial pot holes. If you have the time, continue west of Route 2. It's a pretty ride in the fall. There's also the Shaker Village in Hancock, Mass.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:57 AM

Oh Barbara your trip sounds so exciting and fun. Maybe it is a good thing your travel buddy is NOT a quilter! Think of the fabric you would be bringing back on the plane! Enjoy our beautiful September weather we are having here at home in the meantime.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:05 AM

Bennington vermont is a great historical place to visit.