Trip planned for Brazil

Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 AM

Default Trip planned for Brazil

I have a trip planned to Manaus in the Amazon in Brazil. Any idea whether there are quilt stores or shops there? Things to do, recommendations, do's and don'ts, etc.?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:55 AM

google the name of the place.trip advisory has a list of things to do.Then try footling fabric stores or quilt shops in ....Safe Journey
Old 01-28-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
I have a trip planned to Manaus in the Amazon in Brazil. Any idea whether there are quilt stores or shops there? Things to do, recommendations, do's and don'ts, etc.?
I was just thinking of you! Glad to see you decided to go!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 AM

I found this : http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...MISC-BR-1.html
Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 AM

Most of the "shopping" is like in Mexico, a lot of vendor or market type shopping. Great place for woven textiles, mainly wool. South America is a wonderful place to buy leather goods really cheap. Also, they are known for their jewelry and loose precious stones. The local jewelry stores have wonderful prices on semi precious stones. Argentina has the best leather goods and designer clothing. I didn't find too many places to purchase fabric, unless it was designer apparel fabric, and it was very expensive. Tips, on the subject of jewelry, do not take any of your own, or wear any in public. Wear a cheap watch, both you and your husband. Use a criss-cross purse and keep it under a vest or jacket. A friend who was with us was wearing a backpack to put her passport, purse and items she was buying in.
Someone came up from behind her as we were walking down the street and used a sharp blade to cut the bottom of her backpack. They got her small purse and passport. I'm not trying to scare you, but there are a lot of very poor people in all of the countries in South America. I traveled to Brazil/Rio de Janeiro, Argentina, North and South Uruguay, Caracas, Venezuela and never had a problem. Wear comfortable shoes, you will do a lot of walking. Enjoy Rio. Remember, don't be shocked at the topless beach and the male workers who come out of the highrise office buildings around noon time to go to the beach in their Speedos. Enjoy the country, don't spend too much time at a lot of fabric stores. BTW the retailers are very friendly. Ask one of the ladies in the jewelry store for your fabric retailers.
Lastly, don't travel Varig Airlines. Awful maintenance on their aircraft. . I left Miami and the pilot made an unscheduled stop is Caracas to pick up armed military soldiers. Amazing, they brought down this jumbo jet to pick up three men..with guns. It is a long flight, so try to sleep. It is a beautiful country with amazing scenery...so enjoy your stay. Buy some of those jewels, you won't regret it. Sorry for the long response.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:45 PM

I would image you could go on the internet and check it out. I bet they have some really unique material.