Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
True (funny) story about a knee injury >

True (funny) story about a knee injury

True (funny) story about a knee injury

Old 04-01-2011, 04:10 PM

This is from me, not related from another e-mail, or a magazine etc ... me - sue (DogHouseMom) heard this story with my own ears. Ditter posted the Dave Barry story about the colonoscopy and it reminded me of Maria's painful but oh so funny story that happened several months ago.

My friend Maria lives in CA (I'm in Chicago). 13 years or so ago she called me when she was in the hospital to chat while she was waiting to dialate so it came as no big surprise when she phoned me from the hosipital to tell me she was waiting to be prepped for surgery for a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament).

"Oh man Maria! How did you tear your ACL? Fall off the horse again?"

"Ummm ... not exactly."

"Well what?"

"I had a mamogram."

"What does having a mamogram have to do with tearing your ACL?"

"Well ... the lights went out."

"DO go on."

And now that I have your attention - here the rest of the story.

She's actually in the Mamo machine (had her "tit in a wringer" is the way she put it), and ~poof~ the electric goes out. The mamo machine still had a good hold of her. The tech assures Maria she will find out what is wrong and will be "right back". She exits the room. A short while later ... minutes I think (hours Maria said) she hears the door open but she can't turn around to see who it is, but hears someone whistling a tune. It's the sound of somone working slowly and calmly. Finally Maria asks "who's there?" and she hears some guy say "just me Mam, checking the electric". And he continues to work, then he says "be right back I need a flashlight". DUH!! He exits, and at this point Maria's still in a compromised position, but realizes she didn't hear the door shut after him. Several more seconds go by (and WHERE is the technician???), and she can hear people in the hallway passing by evacuating the building. Then she heard one of these people say "I heard there was a fire in ... ".

"Fire?"

"Did someone say there is a fire and I'm standing here in the dark with my tit in a wringer."

At that point she said to hell with the pain and wrenched herself out of the machine. In that moment of excruciating pain she forgot she was standing on a small platform when she stepped out and ... twisted her knee as she landed 4" further away than the floor where her other foot was planted. Needless to say she collapsed in a heap holding her left knee and her right boob and fainted.

At that point I simply said to her ... "I am so sorry but girlfriend I hope you will understand when I laugh my butt off over this one".

Maria is to this day the only person I know who tore her knee apart while getting a mamogram.

But WAIT, there IS good news. Maria is an attorney! Not only that but her specialty is insurance (as the defense attorney - not the ambulance chasing attorney), so she knew exactly how to get what she wanted.

The bad news is that she needed to re-take the mamogram.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

And THAT is why I haven't had a mammo in a decade -- it's plain dangerous!! :lol:

Jan in VA
Old 04-01-2011, 04:18 PM

OMG!! I feel her pain. Don't know about the knee, but her boob! Her boob!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 PM

Too funny!!! Sad thing is..I need to get a mammogram. Think I will wait awhile. Can't get this image out of my head!! LOL!!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 PM

LOL Sorry for her pain
Old 04-01-2011, 05:19 PM

Darnit!!! I've been thinking of making that appointment with my doctor, haven't been to one for several years. And now I'll go in with this in mind..and probably start giggling during the process and make them have to take more than one shot. No, I'm not getting a mammogram, but a Thermogram, which is supposed to be far better.

But you can bet that I'll look for that platform. Never noticed one before.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

ROTHFLMAO I just had my mammo today!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:51 PM

That is something that could happen to me, if anything can go wrong I'm there. Sorry for your friend, but it is a funny story
Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Please get your mammograms anyway. I accidently skipped a year.Guess what they found the next year...you got it-breast cancer! I am fine sliding into 5 yrs now (after 13 between the first 2 episodes), but I am really cautious now and get them when due.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 PM

Oh, that poor, poor lady!!! Such an image in my head!!