Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Unusual Thankgsgiving Traditions >

Unusual Thankgsgiving Traditions

Unusual Thankgsgiving Traditions

Old 11-24-2009, 04:30 PM

the usual- turkey, mashed potatoes with cheese (must have lumps so DD knows they are real), steamed broccoli, corn, peas, 2 types of stuffing- one with the "gizzards" and hamburger and 1 with loose sausage. They get stuffed into the 2 ends of the turkey- whoever gets theirs mixed first gets the larger cavity. I'm always done first since hubby has a tendency to sleep longer than me. Also- gravy, rolls with butter and homemade kielbasa.

Dessert- pumpkin pies from pumpkin from the garden, pumpkin roll for DS who wanted to try something different 3 years ago. If DD was here, we would have apple pie- complete with an A cut into the crust- which she says is April pie (her name).

I won a bottle of wine so we will open that and have a glass to toast. I set the table with my crystal dinnerware and stemware and good place settings. No one is allowed to clean up- I'm the only one to touch the crystal to put it in the dishwasher. One time I even took a picture of the table because it looked so pretty. I even serve all the food in crystal dishes- we don't even use half of what I've accumulated over the years. This year we are down to 10, the smallest we've ever been at the table. I've made dinner for 30 and loved every minute of it!

But I'm REALLY liking that spiked coffee idea- that could become a NEW tradition. What do you spike it with???? What happens when the cook has to go back to bed to sleep it off and can't get back up? (me :) )
Old 11-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Margie
Originally Posted by SaraSewing
The first pilgrims ate seafood. So last year we had lobster too! What a blast to be different. This year we are roasting our turkey in a pit with hot rocks, etc. It's SOOOOOoooooooo yummy. But our tradition is Rosy slush. A punch made of cranberries, pineapple juice,etc, frozen into cubes, then served with sprite. Yummm. It's awful to say, and I'm probably the only one to admit it, but I really don't like Thanksgiving. I love the idea of being thankful, but the whole scene has never been my fav.
Sara...I love the idea of giving thanks, and I do daily....However, I agree Thanksgiving is probably my least favorite holiday. Hate turkey and all that time and mess for a meal lol My favorite thing to do on Thanksgiving is to eat at a restaurant, which we did for a number of years after the children were grown and married and before grandchildren...then back to the kitchen. lol

Margie

Margie
So you are my soul mate in the quilting realm!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:39 PM

Klue,
could you PLEASE share how to make a few chinese recipies? Chicken fried rice, veggie egg fu young,sechuan (sp) chicken & almond chicken? We just love it so much. And since you are a health nut I saw your site) as healthy as possible too, low fat...if possible.
Thanks so much.