Upholstery sample ideas

Old 11-07-2011, 07:12 AM

Default Upholstery sample ideas

Our group as been blessed with an over abundance of upholstery samples. We make quilts for QOV and QFK's. And as a fundraiser we make other things with the upholstery samples.

The more masculine fabrics we make bags for the QOV's. Bigger pieces make pet beds for the local no-kill animal shelter-we use the small scraps from our quilting to stuff them.

We have made a bunch of tote bags in various sizes and styles.

And we still have a bunch of fabric. How have you used your upholstery samples? I figured we have a lot of new people since the last time this topic has come up, see if they have some ideas.

A lot of the samples have the big round metal circle in both corners-any ideas what we could do with this? One lady started sewing them together, matching the melel loops and then put some ribbon through it and called it a wine bag....it was cute but I don't know if we should make 50 of them.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 AM

I suggest walker and wheelchair bags. People who need their hands to navigate with can always use something sturdy to carry things IN. Last time I was at VA hospital I realized how many people in wheelchairs were struggling to carry paperwork, etc.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:26 AM

I make purses out of mine. I find a couple of fabrics that blend together and use coordinating fabrics for flaps, handles and then line them. I also use that purse batting to make them heavier. They are cute.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 AM

Wood carriers ----for people who carry in firewood. Sturdy dowel thru each end - stack wood in between on heavy upholstery fabric. If they are pretty, I have seen people hang them by their wood stoves for convenience and deco.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM

I thought about wheelchair/walker bags but wasn't sure the best style. There are several patterns available. Do any of you guys use them? which style works best? The ones that tie on seem to be the easiest but how well to they actually stay attached? Seems like they would come undone easily.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Scraps View Post
Wood carriers ----for people who carry in firewood. Sturdy dowel thru each end - stack wood in between on heavy upholstery fabric. If they are pretty, I have seen people hang them by their wood stoves for convenience and deco.
I've seen patterns for wood totes, but wasn't sure if people actually used them.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:55 AM

I use mine in appliques on wall hangings
Old 11-07-2011, 11:16 AM

We've made a whole lot of different totes and stuff. Our county is starting a 5 cent tax on bags in a couple months so we thought grocery style bags would be good to sell. That's been our focus so far anyway.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by LoveQuilten View Post
I make purses out of mine. I find a couple of fabrics that blend together and use coordinating fabrics for flaps, handles and then line them. I also use that purse batting to make them heavier. They are cute.
Would you please show some pics of your purses. I have been thinking about making a purse with some samples I have.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM

you could make bags for walkers by using the round metal loops at the top of the bag. Insert a shower curtain hanger and the bag hooks onto the walker.