Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Using Your Hands To Heal Your Head! >

Using Your Hands To Heal Your Head!

Using Your Hands To Heal Your Head!

Old 07-26-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
I'm sure we are all sane, including any who may suffer from depression. I assume you didn't mean to be offensive but juxtaposing 'sane' with 'depressed' is in fact very offensive.
NoveltyJunkie, I didn't mean to be offensive, and I'm so sorry you took it that way. Trust me...as someone who has been diagnosed with severe chronic depression as well as PTSD, I'm well aware that depression doesn't equal insanity. I also have a 21 year old daughter who is Autistic (and is absolutely perfect the way she is!), so I'm well aware of how offensive words and dirty looks can be.

But that one slipped by me, maybe because I'm more offended by people who are offensive toward my daughter than those who are toward me. I'm also more offended by those who are offensive because of their prejudices. I tend to come back in a joking manner about my own conditions and lighten the mood. That just works better for me, which is why I included myself in the "I have to worry about some of us" part of the statement. But I need to be aware that what works for me isn't necessarily what works for others.

So I agree with you, and I apologize for being offensive. Forgive me?

Donna
Old 07-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Interesting article ... thanks for the link.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:25 PM

Thanks Donna. I know you didn't mean to hurt, but that doesn't mean it would have been right for me to let it slide.

I posted to encourage anyone reading my message to be aware that they could hurt someone by saying it, perhaps someone poorly equipped to shrug it off.

I find it more useful to point things out than to stew over them. My little way of trying to improve the world even a tiny bit!

If people chose not to change their behaviour, that's on them, not on me. But if I don't let them know, then I'd feel bad for not warning them!

I wish you the best in staying well, and send good wishes also for your daughter.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

My belief is to keep busy with whatever you like to do. While busy thinking about what you are doing or planning to do will keep your in better spirits. Saneness or lack thereof has nothing to do with it. Just what I think.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 AM

Actually, there have been studies done about the relationship between keeping 'mentally active' and the onset of dementia. Using the brain (crafts, puzzles, etc.) appears to strengthen it and keep it healthier. The more you use it, the more able you are, to continue using it.