Venison anyone????

Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 PM

We had quite an incident today! Mom and I are here in my sewing/computer room and hear a BIG ruckus outside. and a dog yelping!!!! We don't HAVE a dog...so what the heck?!?!?! Looked out and saw a deer....and her hackles were up. I ran to the front door and there was Hootch....and he was hurt!!! Hootch is the neighborhood dog. He's a sweetheart. No one knows what he is (other than dog - maybe party husky), he was dropped here about 13 yrs ago and a neighbor licenses him and feeds him. We all feed him, too (his name SHOULD be MOOCH). Well, seems he must have come onto my yard and that deer was around the corner and they came to heads. He's okay, was shaking and had a hurt right front leg. I fed him 3 of his dog biscuits and off he went home , just limping a bit. Me...I went for my gun -- course, DH had locked up the ammo!!!! I've never killed an animal before but I've had it with the deer!! They eat our flowers and veggies, crap all over our yards and now they're going after the dog. What if a kid had come around the corner and ran into her! She wasn't afraid of me.....just stood staring at me until I threw a hunk of wood at her. No fawns in site. Neighbors said they'd cover for me if the cops come around....IF I gave them some venison!!! LOL

Okay - I've vented...maybe that deer will live to see another day.... :thumbdown:
Old 07-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

Wow that is a brave deer and I commend you to protecting the pupper. I would be sitting around waiting for it to show back up and give her a formal introduction to Ethel the 12 gauge pump!!

Billy
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 PM

I wonder what set that off. Here in the South, rabies and distemper are huge problems with wildlife.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
I wonder what set that off. Here in the South, rabies and distemper are huge problems with wildlife.
That was my first thought when I read that the deer didn't run away and actually hurt the dog! Scary!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like it is getting to use to humans and you are correct what if it had been a child or older person :shock:
Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Power Poster

The deer doesn't have to be sick. My brother in law lived out of Eugene, OR. They had deer on their property all of the time and they weren't afraid. If someone has been feeding it, it will become not afraid of humans. I know that it is illegal to feed wildlife where I live, but people still do it.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 PM

Shooting an animal out of the scope of the law here would cost you time in jail and about $3000.00 fine. Be careful.

Hope Hooch is ok.

There is a spray called Deer Repelent I believe. It is suppossed to be pretty good. Human hair will deter them.

They can be a PIA, but having a herd of thirty on our property, I can honestly say our Great Pyr keeps them at bay. Worst thing they have ever done is tear up a birdfeeder they were eating out of.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

Wow, besides human hair you should just have your DH use the great outdoors for a couple of days scenting the parimeter of your yard. That would work wonders for the deer and any other wildlife that might be wondering around.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:28 AM

Use a compound bow---no noise for neighbors to hear and report.
I was coming home from church one night, saw a deer (large buck) run across the road and jump the ditch. I slowed way down because many times there's more than one. He jumped back across the ditch and CHARGED into my jeep!!!!! I had never seen one do anything like that before. My cousin, an avid hunter, said that it was because it was rut season.
Deer, while pretty and seemingly peaceful are still wild animals and therefore can be dangerous.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:03 AM

I think it's time for a neighborhood barbecue. I'm glad the pup is okay. I'll quit complaining about the ducks in my yard.