Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Vestibular Syndrome in Dogs >

Vestibular Syndrome in Dogs

Vestibular Syndrome in Dogs

Old 04-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Our 14 year old Lab has been diagnosed with Vestibular Syndrome. She appeared to be having a stroke on Wednesday afternoon and we rushed her to the Vet. The Vet said it was Vestibular Syndrome, an innflamation of a nerve in their ear that causes them extreme vertigo. Our Molly stayed at the Doggie Hospital through yesterday hooked up to an IV given a multitude of tests. We were told she was well enough to go home. She is on 5 different medications including steroids. It has now been 4 days since her attack and thank goodness her appetite is slowly coming back although she is on a bland diet and still needs to be hand fed at times. She still can't walk hardly at all. We carry her outside to "do her business" and she can take about five steps before falling over on her side and just laying there helpless. We are hoping that she gets better with time as it can take a couple of weeks or more. She is our baby. Has anyone else had experience with this problem? It is apparently common to older dogs and not that unusual........
Old 04-11-2010, 03:10 PM

O poor baby!
Wish I could help, but my prayers are with you.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:20 PM

I can sympathize with you ...I haven't experienced that, but my poor Greyhound had a right Hemispheral (sp?) cerebrial infarction, a stroke, 3 years ago. We had to do 'supportive therapy' for her too, God I felt so bad for her! they have no idea what's going on.... they just look so pathetic she did recover, as much as she's ever going to. still a little issue with the sight on right side, as well as her balance. Good luck with your baby, don't get frustrated, he'll get better with time and your care.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Banned

I have the human form of it since 1987. I don't go out and I can't drive. I live a nightmare each and everyday. I walk like I am drunk and I fall from the vertigo, at times crawling to the bathroom. If she is not better in soon she will not get better, take her out of her suffering and put her down, she lived a long life. I am not trying to be mean I am just telling you how I would feel. I know she is your baby but if it is anything like the human form which it sounds like it is more fair to her to let her go then to keep her around because you want her. If they could put humans down when they suffer with vertigo as debitating as mine I would be the first to volunteer.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

Poor doggy! Hope she gets well!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I have the human form of it since 1987. I don't go out and I can't drive. I live a nightmare each and everyday. I walk like I am drunk and I fall from the vertigo, at times crawling to the bathroom. If she is not better in soon she will not get better, take her out of her suffering and put her down, she lived a long life. I am not trying to be mean I am just telling you how I would feel. I know she is your baby but if it is anything like the human form which it sounds like it is more fair to her to let her go then to keep her around because you want her. If they could put humans down when they suffer with vertigo as debitating as mine I would be the first to volunteer.
I have nothing but sympathy for you, trupeach1. I could see the terror in her eyes during our dog's initial seizure and can only imagine how you deal with life. (I do hope some doctor is able to recommed meds or some treatment to help you.) You don't have to worry, we want her to have a quality life and would not allow her to suffer. Our Vet (who also has Labs) had one of hers have three episodes of this and she survived to die at age 16 of a heart attack.

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes, they are much appreciated. The people on this board are not only a talented group of people but very compassionate as well.

Our Molly (one eye lost to a Melenoma)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]53924[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-53924.jpe  
Old 04-11-2010, 04:07 PM

It's so tough to see our loved ones not their usual selves. I hope your pup gets better soon. As long as she is not suffering, I bet this is harder on you. Our dog went through a rough time, but he came through. I'm hoping your sweet pup does the same. Sounds like she's in very capable hands. Give her a treat for me!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 PM

I will be thinking of you. Give Molly a scatch for me!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:57 PM

Our dog Sinbad had this problem and yes he did eventually recover. It's hard to see them going thru this because you wish they could tell you how they feel. We thought Sinbad had a stroke because it looked like it. He was bumping into furniture and things. Our Sinbad was a very old dog but he did recover from this. Hang in there and give her lots of love.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 AM

Thanks, Anna, for replying. I really appreciate it. We have had animals with so many other ailments but this one beats all. Has anyone else out there had a dog with vestibular syndrome? I really need to hear about it. (I do know there are two kinds--one that goes away in a couple of weeks and one that indicates a more serious problem....