Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Visiting Phoenix -- Suggestions? >

Visiting Phoenix -- Suggestions?

Visiting Phoenix -- Suggestions?

Old 11-12-2016, 06:18 PM

I live in the Verde Valley and Cottonwood old town is great to visit and Jerome is miles up about 7000 ft and it use to be a mining town and now is is a tourist town. A lot of the houses are built on the side of the mountain and are old. The haunted hamburger is one place to eat up there and you can see the whole vally. Lots of history like it used to be a ghost town. It is worth seeing and is about 20 miles from Sedona. We have a nice quilt store in Cottonwood on your way to Jerome.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:05 AM

If you go to Sedona, ask around to find the local slackline community. They string lines up in the mountains, then walk them like the highwire acts, hundreds of feet high. In a couple of weeks, my son will be one of them.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:43 PM

I've been to Phoenix twice. I travel with my husband and another couple who are golf nuts. Spent most of the time playing golf. We did a Phoenix Brewery Tour (lots of fun), and also visited the Desert Botanical gardens (my idea to break up the golfing). The Gardens were wonderful. Our second trip, we went to Tonto National Forest-- Canyon Lake, and Tortilla Flats, the last surviving stagecoach stop along the Apache Trail. The Riverwalk is a nice place to stroll at night, and we just happened upon a Brew Festival the night we were there! If you like Blues music, don't miss the Rhythm Room, a little hole in the wall place, but we've gone there both times and heard fantastic music both times. I guess a third trip is in order, because most of the times we were out, passed several quilt shops but they closed at 5:00.

Last edited by bljackson58; 11-13-2016 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 11-14-2016, 06:06 AM

Three Dudes Quilt shop, coffee, tea, water and homemade treats, welcoming staff. Grand Canyon is breath taking. Tortilla Flats, as mentioned. There is a monastery out in the Desert, interesting, also.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:07 AM

I did a hot air balloon sun rise trip - it was so beautiful. Sedona is beautiful, going to the Grand Canyon is a must if you can fit it in. I found the whole area to be peaceful, and it restored my spirit. The entire trip was an absolute wonder.