Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Wal-mart ironing board-well the 18 inch one anyway >

Wal-mart ironing board-well the 18 inch one anyway

Wal-mart ironing board-well the 18 inch one anyway

Old 06-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Default Wal-mart ironing board-well the 18 inch one anyway

I bought the 18 inch wide ironing board not too long ago from Walmart. Love the width. I have a little Shark iron. I just finished ironing some backing fabric and left the iron in the stand up holder. Heard something and went to look at my iron. black stuff on the bottom. I wiped it on the ironing board-stupid I know. turns out it was the circle thing the iron would sit against while in the holder. Melted!!! jeesh. I'm not happy now. anybody else had this happen?? I usually turn the temp down on my iron because it will shut off otherwise. but I've never had this happen before.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I would say your iron is too hot. Throw out the iron holder. I have an 18" wide ironning board. I don't use it much but, love it.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 AM

I have one with the iron caddy at the end. Never had the "iron rests" melt. They are "supposed" to protect the bottom of the iron from metal and getting scratched.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I have never had one melt either. but this little plastic button on it did!! sigh. I went and bought a Black and Decker iron and now will have to order a new cover for the board. but I don't like the look of the plastic button thing now. maybe I need to get some of that silver quilted stuff and put that over it somehow. If it isn't one thing, it's another. I'm in the middle of trying to finish a patriotic quilt top from a swap long, long ago.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM

I haven't melted that off but i did push on the ironing board a little to much and now whenever i'm pressing my ironing board goes lower and lower. I pushed it right down and bent the leg. it's a pain! I guess it is time for a new one.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I emailed Walmart. maybe they will send me a new board or at least a new cover. but then, I would still have the half melted button problem.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:30 AM
Administrator

my iron did not fit well into the holder, so i was always worried it was going to fall off.
i went into the bakeware section, bought a small cookie rack, and set it on top of the iron holder to make it flat.
eventually i just got some bolt cutters and removed the iron hold altogether.
the rack worked fine. i removed it only because i had to move my board to a shorter wall.
the iron holder made the whole thing too long to fit.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:30 AM

I have looked at this ironing board and thought seriously about purchasing it. Other than the iron holder, do you like it? Is it sturdy? I am using the same ironing board I received at my wedding shower 49 years ago. It is heavy and I like it but think the wider width would be wonderful.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 AM
dd

I don't think there is a bride today who would get an ironing board as a shower gift.lol I have the one from WM also. I really like it and it has the holder on the end but it did discolor from the heat of the iron. Mine also came with 2 covers. I did have to add another piece of batting under the cover. My fabric kept coming off with imprints from the ironing board. Oh, it also has a little rack underneath with a little fabric "box" to keep extra things in. Right now that needs to be cleaned out. I just wish I had a straight one. With that pointed end, you have to keep moving the large pieces of fabric to get it all ironed out.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I like the width but find the whole grid of the board is a bit thin. tends to feel like it wants to bend when I iron. They don't make them like they used to!! I may try to take the iron holder off and then put the one I had on my other ironing board I've had for 30 to 40 years onto it.