Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Wanted: A very easy sewing pattern in 3x for a T-shirt or shirt >

Wanted: A very easy sewing pattern in 3x for a T-shirt or shirt

Wanted: A very easy sewing pattern in 3x for a T-shirt or shirt

Old 03-13-2015, 07:53 AM
mac

Smile Wanted: A very easy sewing pattern in 3x for a T-shirt or shirt

Hi everyone:

I am a size 2-3x in blouses and would was wondering if anyone knows of a very simple pattern for either cotton material or knit material. I like my blouses longer than most purchased blouses. I can buy a T-shirt or knitted shirt that fits well and in one washing it suddenly shrinks up to my belly button. I have tried to increase the length of a purchased blouse to make it longer, but haven't figured out a way to do it without it looking out of place or stupid.

My sewing skills are minimal (I say that because I can turn a nice piece of material into a rag by the time I have finished the project), but I can put in sleeves and do basic sewing. I recently looked at a pattern called the "easy elegant shirt," but it had dolman type sleeves and I look better in regular sleeves.

Can anyone help me?
Will be forever in your debt.
Mary Ann
Old 03-13-2015, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Wish I could help but I stopped making any tops when I went into 1X. I have started washing my tops in cold water.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

i saw this on FB this morning. It doesn't go to 2-3X, but maybe you can adjust it?
http://nap-timecreations.com/2015/03...tern-free.html
Old 03-13-2015, 09:59 AM

You would be better off buying fabric, washing it a few times, then making your item. That is the conclusion I have come to with my clothes. They make everything so cheaply made now days!
Depending on where you live in CA: I stopped into a shop called My Sewing Room, in Corona, CA the other day. She had a sewing class going on, and everyone was working on their own projects, and she would help whenever someone needed instruction. If you don't live near there, look for a class in your area.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:46 PM

Have you tried ordering T-Shirts from Woman Within catalog or web site? They run anywhere from $8.99 to $29.00--are generously sized and most come in 30 inch length . My daughter wears 3X and buys all of hers from there- nice fabric and wash well with no shrinkage. Kwik Sew patterns usually have well sized and easy to sew patterns for tshirts also.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gladygirl View Post
Have you tried ordering T-Shirts from Woman Within catalog or web site? They run anywhere from $8.99 to $29.00--are generously sized and most come in 30 inch length . My daughter wears 3X and buys all of hers from there- nice fabric and wash well with no shrinkage. Kwik Sew patterns usually have well sized and easy to sew patterns for tshirts also.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. They are very nice to work with and almost always have a deal going on. Get on their email list and learn the specials. Good quality too.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:22 PM

I had a friend that was quite large as well as tall- short story long-I inherited most of her clothes & they were ALL tall. I am only 5'2" & as I have washed them on cool water they have shrunk up. As in top to bottom. They are still long enough for me. A win win. Now the pants are a completely different ball game. I'm still working on that. LOL
Old 03-13-2015, 07:30 PM
mac

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Wish I could help but I stopped making any tops when I went into 1X. I have started washing my tops in cold water.
I am very careful and wash in only cold water and either line dry or use a cool dryer. Still there is shrinkage. Ugh!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:39 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Gladygirl View Post
I have ordered from Woman Within, however, their large sizes are all $5 dollars more (I'm cheap, because usually the item price is always more expensive than I want to buy anyway.) I have ordered their T-shirts and they are really, really thin and sort of lose their shape after a while. I have been buying their clothes, but I thought it might be little cheaper if I made them.

Guess, I'll have to keep buying from them anyway. Did I mention that I really hate buying clothes. LOL. I find it so frustrating and if I find something I like, of course, it is never in the color I like. Well, I might have to go to drastic measures and lose some weight. That's even less fun than buying clothes.

Thanks for every's help.
mac
Old 03-13-2015, 10:12 PM

I'd suggest buying a shirt you like that fits you well. Do NOT wash it. Take it apart at the seams & make a pattern by tracing the parts. You may have to press the seams down on pieces first to get them to lay flat. Press, do not iron, to keep them from being disorted. I use freezer wrap paper to make patterns. You can use newspaper or any paper. If it's not wide enough then tape pieces of paper together. Draw a diagram of your shirt on a separate piece of paper. Make notes of each seam width, type of seam, i.e. overlocked, flat felled, hem type/length, etc. Also note the width & length of each piece, direction of cutting of each piece on grain, bias, etc. Buy fabric, making sure you get extra yardage for shrinkage. Wash/dry the fabric to preshrink it. Then cut out the pattern & sew it together, using the same type/size of seams as the shirt you bought. You don't have to be a master seamstress to do this. Think of it like putting a puzzle together. Each piece fits in it's own place. Once you have a pattern made & it fits you well then you can make your own from then on.

I have done this for many shirts, jeans, shorts, etc most of my life, as I'm small framed & could not find clothes, I liked, that were small enough to fit me well. Most store bought clothes had/have to be to be altered to fit me. I recently made a flannel shirt from an old one I had worn for several years. It was one of my favorite shirts & when it got holes in it I ripped it apart & made a pattern. Right now I am making summer shorts & t-tops from knits using a pattern I made years ago.