Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Warning Computer Phone Scam!!! >

Warning Computer Phone Scam!!!

Warning Computer Phone Scam!!!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 AM

I had a phone call like this one night years ago. The guy said he was a police officer and he'd had a report of a break-in and they'd given my phone number. He wanted my address so he could check it out. It just so happened that I was dating the Sargeant of the police SWAT team. I told him to call the SWAT phone number, ask for Sargeant XX and ask him for the address.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:09 AM

I get this call a couple of times a month. I tell the guy that my uber techie husband BUILT out computer himself and if there was a problem he would know it long before them and he would fix it. The last time I got this call was last Wednesday and I told the guy I knew he was a con artist and the call was BS. He stammered and cleared his throat and warned me of the dire consequences to my computer, blah blah blah. I said "Nice try butt-head" and hung up
Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 AM

I never open anything that has a paper clip attachment. Even if its from some one I know unless I call them first to verify. But my favorite ones are from 2 banks. The bank in Nigeria is trying to pay me for the work I perform there to the tune of 750million usd And the other is from the Bank of London. This is a sad story--my uncle Bernard passed on.Well just before his passing he found that his children were not worthy of his riches and while searching for lost family members he found that I am his only living relative from acrost the pond. You would think he would have found my 3 brothers and my father?? We live in the same zip code.. But with both I can pick up $5000 per day til paid in full at any Western Union office.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 AM

I must get 2-5 emails from people that owe me millions. I only wish I could collect somehow without having to give my name, rank and serial number. I would single handed be able to pay off the national debt and become the most well known, respected and celebrated citizen in the US. But atlas it is only a dream and so I press the delete button one more time.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the information.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM

I got that same call yesterday and told them no. I would deal with a crash if it happened. Didn't believe a word he said and finally hung up on him.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:42 PM

Yes, for some reason this guy is persistent, he called again today, after he said, "Hello", I hung up. You'd think they'd pursue someone that was cooperating with their instructions?!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM

My parents got stung by that scam. Grrrr! With help from us and their credit card company they were not charged. But, by golly, why are people so mean and why are senior citizens so free to part with their money that they can't earn any more of. Just say no!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:23 PM

I have had these calls down here in Australia usually from someone with a strong Indian accent who keeps calling me Madam. Believe me I have not been anywhere near as polite as some of you to them.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 AM

I have 4 calls from "Microsoft" in the last 3 months, told them they were nothing but scammers and to leave me alone. I rang Microsoft to tell them and they say that they never ring anyone, if you have a problem you have to ring them. So BEWARE of these phone calls