Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Warning Tip for Dangerous Websites!!!!!!!! >

Warning Tip for Dangerous Websites!!!!!!!!

Warning Tip for Dangerous Websites!!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2010, 03:31 PM

Hi Everyone,
I've noticed something sneaky the computer 'bad guys' seem to have come up with. Just in case you haven't already noticed it, here it is.
If you google something to do with quilting, be very careful to read the name of actual website you will be connected to, not just the top line that shows the info you were looking for.
You will find that the dangerous sites are somehow stealing info from legitimate sites to make you click on them. Here are some examples of what they look like.

*****IF THESE COME THROUGH AS LINKS DO NOT CLICK ON THEM******

SAMPLES:
#
[Tossed Nine Patch Patterns - Menope 2010 Dubai, middle east ...
This site may harm your computer.
and lots of fun gabbing, I managed to complete this top using Eleanor Burns 'Tossed Nine-Patch . She has lots of wonderful patterns for the fall season and ...

#
[Tossed Nine Patch Quilt Pattern -
This site may harm your computer.
I wanted to make a red, green and yellow quilt in honor . When I put the blocks together I did a pattern (D= Dark . They called it a tossed nine patch. ...

These are dangerous non-quilting sites and although google flagged them as 'This site may harm your computer', I only noticed by sheer luck.
I looked at a few more and they often, but not always, seem to end in an equal sign followed by something to do with the info you are looking for.

Please be careful. I've been getting a lot of those 'false security scan' things lately. Very dangerous. If they don't actually contain viruses, they infiltrate your computer to steal your personal information. And they totally look like a legitimate Microsoft site.

If you've got other tips or noticed other computer things we can all avoid, please share your tips and observations.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 03:34 PM

OMGosh! I ran in to that 3 times today! It's all of a sudden everywhere! I think I saw it mostly when searching "images".
Old 09-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Thank you for the info!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Someone the other day was looking for a dizzy geese pattern and I Goggled it, and got a warning that a virus had infected my computer and to click on such and such to clear it up. I know from experience not to do so, so there wasn't any damage.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:35 PM

The one that I get doesn't really give you a choice...it just starts trying to scan...I just "X" out of the whole page to get away from it :(
Old 09-18-2010, 04:48 PM

Qbee-the one I got, you couldn't X out or close it. I turned the net off and waited until DH got up, he took care of it.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:50 PM

thank you for The warning :thumbup: I have ran into that before, I was lucky, I turned off my computer. Turned it back on and ran malware and McAffe Security scan. No harm that time. :roll: what will they thing of next :thumbdown:
Old 09-18-2010, 05:27 PM

Yes I noticed the same thing today when doing some searching, and it is also associated with sewing searches too. :-(
Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 PM

Someone on here mentioned a block called "Spidron". When I googled spidron and opened one for the quilt block pattern for spidron I got a warning to download security software. I was able to close it and IE. I ran a scan and my computer seems ok; I'll keep an eye on it tho.
Why would they pick quilting-type sites? Do they think mostly women would use these and the "little woman" isn't computer literate???
Old 09-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

I've switched to bing rather than google. I don't know if they are showing up there or not. Its maddening!!