Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Washing Machines:  w/agitator or w/o?? >

Washing Machines: w/agitator or w/o??

Washing Machines: w/agitator or w/o??

Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 AM

I bought the Maytag last summer and really love it. It is so gentle on clothing and quilts.l
Old 07-06-2014, 01:43 PM

My set was delivered yesterday. The gas company is coming in the morning to run the new line to it. I can't wait to try it out! Laundry Baskets are sorted and waiting! Lol! Never knew doing laundry would be so "fun".!

Sandy
Old 07-07-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
How can clothes get clean with less water? Not understanding that. There are water level adjustments on mine for different load sizes.
There are differend load settings on the new HE washers and soak options too. You can set them for extra water if needed. Listening to the new cycle sounds with take some getting used to but so far, pretty quiet!

Sandy
Old 07-07-2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
I have the LG with the diamond tub- such a good machine. And it has a soak cycle too, along with loads of other options. My only comment would be that is you are vertically challenged, it might be difficult to reach into the bottom to retrieve items. I am 5'6" and can reach fine, but any shorter and it might be a problem.
I would LOVE to be able to get a top loader, but am short and to get the size I need (to wash the king size quilts/blankets) I need a step stool to fish out the clothes on the bottom. Sigh -- I'm stuck with a front loader.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM

I bought a Whirlpool topload high efficiency last year. I LOVE it! I had held on to my 25 year old washer because I'd heard a lot of bad things about the new ones. Mine is great. Cleans well, easy to use and HUGE. The only thing I will tell you is to read the manual. Mine works differently than my old one and has to be loaded differently. Once I got that down, I really like it.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:27 AM

I am 5'2". No problem reaching into the tub. I have a 3.8 tub. Sems so much larger w/o the agitator. So far so good !

Sandy
Old 07-08-2014, 10:49 AM

I agree with you - can't open the door of a front loader after it's filled with water - and I often toss something extra in.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
How dirty are your clothes?? If you work where you get really dirty the low water machines do not work as well. If you clothes are not really dirty, just need to be freshened up, then they are fine. I HATE the low water machines as my husband works on antique cars and gets really greasy. NO low water machines here and I like the agitator as always.
I have a front loader that uses less water. I also have kids of all ages, construction workers, mechanics, etc in my family and all of their clothes come clean, borrowing a stain here and there. Sometimes I put it on the soak feature to make sure they have enough time to get all the dirt out but that's only if I'm not in a rush to get it all done. I've had my set for several yrs with no problems. I have an extra large capacity and then bought the dryer a little bit bigger so it doesn't have to work so hard and dries faster. Especially with my heavy quilted bedspreads.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 AM

Since appliances are now regulated to be energy efficient, i am sure that in the future we will all be using these machines. I was very pleased to see that my machine cleaned up the doggie bed towels quite nicely! One towel had "spit up" on it...came clean! (Ok, vomit). I used the heavily soiled option on that load.

Technology changes quickly. Think of the car you drove 20-30 years ago and compare it to the features of todays' models. Night and day.

Sandy
Old 09-13-2014, 02:56 AM

2months later and I still love my new machine w/o agitator.

Sandy