Waste

Old 03-25-2011, 05:21 AM

On the Main board I was reading about wasting material--or not. Reminded me of a story I want to share.

Years ago, I had dinner with an older and wiser friend. After dinner I helped clear the table. I started to throw away a tablespoon of peas. ( I had just reached a place where I decided to throw away little bits before they grew hair in my frige.) She stopped me. "I save those." Then she showed me her freezer. She had TV dinner trays filled with dinners for a 96 yr old. friend from those little bits. She doesn't eat much and what I would have thrown away feeds her for a week. Once a week I take her frozen dinners and a lunch. We eat and visit and I take the last weeks trays home for next week. Little things like that can enable someone to remain in their home where they are comfortable.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

what a heartwarming story
Old 03-25-2011, 05:35 AM

Makes you think, doesn't it. . .how wonderful!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

That is a fabulous story. If more ppl would do that then our seniors would be better off. I used to do something similar for an elderly lady until her DD finally realized that her Mom needed help. I used to get so mad when she would call me and say she had nothing to eat and that her DD said she was too busy or broke to bring food for her. then she would proceed to tell her about how she was going out to an expensive restaurant to have dinner. I could just scream at the nerve of some ppl.
Your friend is doing a great thing!!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:08 AM

Great idea! I save my leftovers in a big container in the freezer in the house. Eventually, I make freezer soup. But I like the idea here.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Thats so nice! With so many people on hard times right now, every little bit helps!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:22 AM

we do a simular thing with our left overs. We make our own "TV dinners?. ( I've done this for friends as well-- when they needed extra help) We use our "TV dinners" when we are in a rush, or alot during the summer in the motorhome. I bought some reusable divided trays with lids from the Dollar Store. Best $1 I've spent in years!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:25 AM

thumbs up!

gives that nice warm happy feeling in the pit of the tummy

and random acts of kindness do repay
Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17
On the Main board I was reading about wasting material--or not. Reminded me of a story I want to share.

Years ago, I had dinner with an older and wiser friend. After dinner I helped clear the table. I started to throw away a tablespoon of peas. ( I had just reached a place where I decided to throw away little bits before they grew hair in my frige.) She stopped me. "I save those." Then she showed me her freezer. She had TV dinner trays filled with dinners for a 96 yr old. friend from those little bits. She doesn't eat much and what I would have thrown away feeds her for a week. Once a week I take her frozen dinners and a lunch. We eat and visit and I take the last weeks trays home for next week. Little things like that can enable someone to remain in their home where they are comfortable.
wow, that is so nice..It really makes one stop and think..
Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
Originally Posted by grammy17

wow, that is so nice..It really makes one stop and think..
Yes, it makes me think often. Now if I only cooked at home so we had some left overs to share.