Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: waterbed sewing question

waterbed sewing question

not sure how I am going to alter some sheets that I got for my mom and dad. They have a waterbed. I know that you need to have the top and bottom sewn together. but im not sure how I am going to attach the corner sections to keep the sheets on the bed. thinking since sheets are now made for deep beds that the elastic might actually keep the sheets on the bed since they are deep ones. those of you that have waterbeds, how would you alter them? i have looked it up on pintrist and on google but cant seem to find a good tutorial. Any suggestions?
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I used regular king size sheets on my water bed.

When I had a waterbed, I sewed 2 flat sheets together across the bottom. As I recall, the rest just got tucked under. If you have a fitted sheet, you can just attach the top sheet across the bottom of of it--leaving the corners unattached to the top sheet. I think that is what I did for my son back then--it's been 15-20 yrs since we got rid of the W bed.

I use 2 flat sheets King size on mine. Had to trim a bit on the sides.

Years ago before the deep sheets I sewed some elastic diagonally across from the side to the end. I found it easier to use flat sheets and didn't bother to sew them together. They stayed tucked just fine.
    Singer 66 treadle, 15-91. 1036. White 2334 Brother serger. And Singer 600 (Touch & Sew) that doesn't count because I only wanted the cabinet!

I used regular sheets on mine , for the bottom sheet I sewed extra fabric in each corner so the would stay on the mattress.
    Freedom to speak is a gift ;please don't take it from us..

I just used two king flat sheets on mine, tucked the bottom sheet in all around and it stayed just fine.

Waterbed sheets are attached for convenience but not absolutely necessary. Once tucked in, the weight of the water usually keeps everything nice and tight.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
    Years ago before the deep sheets I sewed some elastic diagonally across from the side to the end. I found it easier to use flat sheets and didn't bother to sew them together. They stayed tucked just fine.
    This is what I did. Found the sheets at St. Vinney's, and they must be quite old. My mattress is not that thick, but to thick for this fitted bottom. So I sewed a piece of elastic across the corner about 12 inches from the corner seam. Works well.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

thanks for the ideas. i knew that if i asked here I could get some answers.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast